Skip to main content

Day 23: Creme de Menthe Cake

Can you believe that the challenge is almost over? Christmas is almost here, and I've still got 7 or 8 cookie recipes on my list! I guess some will have to wait until next year's Christmas.

I know today's recipe is not a cookie, but it is the ultimate Christmas Eve or Christmas dinner dessert. Cookies are a perfectly fine dessert (especially with ice cream!), but it's also nice to have something a little fancier.


My Mom has made this cake on Christmas for dessert as long as I can remember. I'm not sure it would be Christmas at her house without it!





This cake is light, fluffy, and moist with a slight taste of mint. With a layer of thick hot fudge down the middle, it's absolutely scrumptious. And it's frosted with a minty-flavored Cool Whip. What could be better? The perfect ending to an indulgent meal.


And the best thing? Simple and easy to make.


Here's what you need for success.


Creme de Menthe syrup, white cake mix (Betty Crocker's my fav!), hot fudge sauce, and Cool Whip.
Creme de Menthe syrup can be tricky to find sometimes. My suggestion would be to look near the ice cream toppings. Because who doesn't want ice cream drowned in mint sauce? (Not quite my cup of tea there. Mint chocolate chip, yes please. Mint sauce on my ice cream, no thank you.)


First, you make your batter. (Just follow the directions on the back of the box, adding 3 tbsp. Creme de Menthe syrup.)


Then, grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. This is important, so that you will be able to flip them out later!





[Note: You can also do this in a 9x13-inch. There just won't be two layers.]


Pour the batter into the pans.




Smooth it out until it's even. Then lick the spatula before you throw it in the sink. And maybe the bowl, too... 




Then, bake according to the package directions. (Mine ended up being at 325*F for about 27 minutes.)


After letting them cool about 10 minutes, very carefully flip the cakes out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling. If you leave them too long in the pans, they will be very hard to get out!




While they're cooling, you can make the 'frosting.' Take your tub of Cool Whip, and dump it into a bowl. Pour in 3 tbsp. Creme de Menthe syrup. 





Carefully fold the syrup into the Cool Whip until it's thoroughly combined. (Don't whip it around too much, or your Cool Whip will deflate! And no one wants to eat droopy, deflated Cool Whip.)


You can also add green food coloring, but I think the syrups colors it exactly enough.
Now, it's time to assemble.


Spread a little bit of the Cool Whip onto your cake stand to keep your cake from sliding around.




Place your first cake layer down. Now, you could get all fancy, and level off the tops of the cakes, so they're nice and even. But, in my opinion, why would you want less cake in the final product? Who cares if it's a little rounded at the top. ;-)




Now, spread that yummy hot fudge all over the top of the first layer. You probably won't use it all. Store it in your fridge, and let that be the reason you have to buy ice cream on your next grocery trip. When your Business Man questions you, simply explain that you "Absolutely have to use up the hot fudge in the fridge before it goes bad!" He'll definitely understand.




Then, place your next layer on top of the first layer.


To me, this looks like a giant hamburger. Anyone else see it?
Now, it's time to frost! Spread the Cool Whip over the sides and on top of the cake. Good news: if you think you're bad at frosting 2-layer cakes, no worries here. The Cool Whip spreads super-easy because it's so light, and it doesn't pull the crumbs away from the cake. You won't have any crumbs in your frosting!



Finish frosting...


Slice...


And enjoy!!


Don't mind if I do!



Creme de Menthe Cake


  • 1 18.25-oz. white cake mix
  • 1 jar hot fudge topping
  • 1 8-oz. container Cool Whip
  • 6 tbsp. Creme de Menthe syrup, divided

Method

Make cake batter as directed on package, adding 3 tbsp. Creme de Menthe syrup to batter. Bake in pans as directed on package. Cool and invert.

To assemble, frost one layer with hot fudge topping. Top with second layer. Top with more hot fudge. In bowl, mix Cool Whip and remaining 3 tbsp. Creme de Menthe syrup. Spread Cool Whip over entire cake. Store in refrigerator.

Garnish with Andes' mints.

Notes

*Use Smucker's Hot Fudge... it's the best.




In other news, my Business Man and I celebrated 'Our Christmas' tonight with a trip to one of our favorite restaurants in the Bean Town--Beer Barrel Pizza! We're about ready to go open our stockings for each other and enjoy some cake! 


We'll be heading back to the good ole' IL tomorrow to celebrate Christmas with our families. Can't wait to see my mom and dad and their cute lil' pup!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);