Skip to main content

Day 21: Good Ole' Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have a confession to make.


I did not make a cookie today.


In all honesty, my Business Man and I have dozens and dozens of cookies in our kitchen. And even more tupperwares of leftover dough in the fridge. I am cookie'd out. 


BUT!!! I made chocolate chip cookies back in August, and never blogged about it. So here we go!



Chocolate chip cookies might not seem like quite the Christmas cookie. But for some people, who don't like a lot of fancy and frill, they fit the bill perfectly. Such as, my uncle. He and his wife and sons live in Oregon, and he just absolutely loves chocolate chip cookies. Every year on his birthday and at Christmas, my mom and I make him a batch of cookies and mail it to him. (Hmmm... now that I don't live with my parents, who is responsible for that job? Must talk to my mother...) 






Anyways, I have forever been on the search for "the" perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. I usually find one, love it for a few months, then find a supposedly better one. This is the one I have been using as of late.




The cookies are chewy and buttery, which has to do with the fact that you brown the butter before mixing up the dough. Also, the recipe calls for unique whisking and 'resting' of the dough. Strange, but I thought the cookies were fabulous. Perhaps that's the secret!


I got the recipe from this blog.



Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
makes about 16 cookies

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
14 tbsp. unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
optional: 3/4 c chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 375*F and line two large baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats. 

Sift or whisk together the flour and baking soda in a medium bowl.

Put 10 tbsp. of the butter in a medium skillet set over medium high heat. Allow the butter to melt for 2 minutes and begin to swirl it around the pan, allowing it to brown. Keep the butter moving so it doesn’t burn. Browning should take about 3 minutes and you’ll know it’s done when it smells nutty and it has a dark golden brown color. Remove the pan from the heat and use a heatsafe spatula to transfer the butter to a large, heatsafe mixing bowl. 

Add the remaining 4 tbsp of cold butter to the melted butter, and stir gently until it is melted.
Add the white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt to the butter and whisk the ingredients together. Add the egg and egg yolk and whisk again until mixture is smooth, 30 seconds. Allow the batter to rest for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds more. Do this two more times; the end result should be thick and shiny.

Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined, about 1 minute. Gently stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if using. The batter will be soft.

Form each cookie with roughly 3 tbsp. of dough. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake one tray at a time, 10 to 14 minutes, on the middle rack of your oven. Rotate baking sheet after 5 minutes and check the cookies at 10; you want them to be golden brown and set around the edges, but puffy in the middle. 

Allow to cool on the pan for 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.





That's it for now. No worries though about myself being 'cookied out'... I already have great plans for tomorrow, and I can feel my sweet tooth coming back. ;-)

P.S. Check out mine and my Business Man's 'Christmas Letter 2010' up at the top!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);