Skip to main content

Day 7: Buried Cherry Cookies

I don't remember where my mom & I got this recipe... we started baking these about 8 years ago. And haven't stopped since!




The name says it all - there is a 'buried cherry' in each cookie. The cookie itself is chewy and chocolatey, and inside there's a surprise cherry! It's all topped with a unique type of frosting; it is poured over the cookie before it's baked.


It's like a cookie version of a chocolate-covered cherry! (Without all that nasty sweet white goo inside...)


Here's a step-by-step break-down:


Roll the dough into 1-inch balls.





Make an indentation in each ball.




Place a cherry in each indentation.




Make the frosting. (And don't forget to lick the spoon. And scrape the sides of the pan.)




Top with the frosting.






Bake!



And then wonder what to do with the leftover 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk. (What kind of recipe only calls for 1/2 cup?) I guess I could be like my friend Jen, as she told me she enjoyed sweetened condensed milk by the spoonful as a child. Ehhh... I'd rather not.

Any ideas?

Buried Cherry Cookies

  • 10-oz. jar maraschino cherries, juice reserved
  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • For the topping
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 4 teaspoons reserved cherry juice

Method

Preheat oven to 350*F. Line baking sheets with parchment or spray with cooking spray.

In small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. In medium bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until combined.

Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Make a small indentation in each dough ball with a spoon or your thumb. Place a drained maraschino cherry in each indentation.

For topping, heat chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in small saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth. Stir in 4 teaspoons reserved cherry juice until smooth. Spoon about a teaspoonful over each cookie so that the entire cherry is covered.

Bake cookies in 350*F about 10-12 minutes until edges are set. Let cool 1-2 minutes; transfer to a wire rack.

Source: Family favorite

Comments

Running Girl said…
Sweet, sweet mercy. I need you to come to my house & make cookies with me. Those look amazing!

Another batch of those cookies, as a way to use up the extra 1/2 can? ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);