Skip to main content

Day 18: A Trio of Tasty Snack Mixes

So, I was totally going for the alliteration with my title, but just couldn't quite make it work. 


On Monday, my Business Man is having an Open House for his customers and people in the community at his office. Of course, we are making lots of goodies to provide some yummy sustenance to the Open House-goers.


We wanted a mixture of sweet and savory, so we decided to make some snack mixes to go along with a cookie spread. Three different snack mixes to be exact. We went with the Classic Chex Party Mix, and tried two new recipes, Buffalo Wing Mix and Chocolate Coffee Toffee Crunch. 

The first one I made was the Classic Chex Party Mix. It's the recipe you can find on the back of the box (You can also find it here.) I left out the bagel chips (didn't have any), and doubled the mixed nuts. Because the nuts are my favorite part.


Salty and tangy, this stuff is sooo good! And addicting! You can never have just one handful. (In my opinion.) My favorite pieces are the wheat chex, pecans, and cashews. Mmmm...



And, it just fills your house with the most wonderful aroma as it roasts in the oven. By the way, the recipe says you can do it in the microwave. I'm sure it's possible, but I have always made it in the oven. I just can't quite imagine it turning out the same in the microwave!


The second mix I made was the Buffalo Wing Mix. (Adapted from this recipe.) 


I absolutely love hot wings, so I thought this mix would be perfect. And it is! A little spicy, but the coolness of the ranch keeps it from being overpowering. This would be a perfect football-watching snack. For all the football-watching that I do. Ha. 

Here's the recipe:

Buffalo Wing Snack Mix
2 cups Corn Chex
2 cups Rice Chex
4 cups Wheat Chex
1 cup pretzels
3 cups White Cheddar Cheez-Its
6 tbsp. butter
2 1/2 tbsp. Louisana hot sauce
1-oz. dry ranch seasoning

Preheat oven to 250*F. In large bowl, melt butter in microwave. Stir in hot sauce and ranch seasoning until smooth. Add cereals, pretzels, and Cheez-Its. Stir until well-coated.

Spread onto jelly roll pan or roasting pan. Bake in oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

The Cheez-Its are absolutely the best part of this mix!
The third and final snack mix of the day had to counter-act all the saltiness going on above. I thought about making Puppy Chow, but everyone knows how to make Puppy Chow. (I think...) So, I decided to try my hand at a new sweet dessert-like snack mix. I went with the Chocolate Coffee Toffee Crunch. This recipe is a finalist in some contest that Chex is having. Why didn't I enter the contest? Maybe I should look into things like that...


However, I made a few changes, as I didn't have all the ingredients.

Chocolate Coffee Toffee Crunch
3 cups Rice Chex
3 cups Corn Chex
1 cup pretzels
1 cup pecan halves
3/4 cup toffee bits
1 tbsp. instant coffee
1 tsp. hot water
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
1-2 cups powdered sugar

Combine instant coffee and hot water and stir until it dissolves. Add chocolate chips and butter. Microwave in 1-minute intervals until melted and smooth.

In large bowl, combine Chex, pretzels, pecan halves, and toffee bits. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal mixture, and stir until well-coated. 

Place powdered sugar in gallon-size Ziploc bag. Very carefully, scoop chocolate-coated mixture into bag. Make sure bag is sealed tightly! Shake around until cereal mixture is coated with powdered sugar. Store in another container. Enjoy!


At first, I couldn't taste the coffee flavor very much, but as I ate more the flavor began to come through. It's similar to Puppy Chow (texture-wise), but is not as rich. The toffee and pecans pair really well with the chocolate-coffee flavors. This would be cute boxed up as a little hostess gift! 

Well, that's it for today folks. The kitchen has been busy today, and it will be tomorrow, too! I can't even remember the last time I actually cooked a dinner from scratch! Maybe tomorrow? Lately, we've been subsiding on leftovers from the freezer, frozen Trader Joe's meals, and cheese & cracker spreads. Not that those are bad things though... 

Happy baking everyone!

Question: Have you tried anything new this holiday season? If so, please share the recipe!

Comments

Alissa said…
I tried Mocha Truffles (from TOH website) for the first time this December. I took them to school with me. My co-teachers thought they were too rich, but everything here is NOT rich or decadent in anyway. I thought they were delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);