Skip to main content

Day 10: Mini-Chip Peppermint Snowballs

One week left! Let me just say that there is only one more week of school before Christmas break. I am so ready for a couple weeks of R & R. Oh, and lots of family time, too! It'll be so nice.

Actually, I'm getting in a bit of family time this weekend. Surprise! I made the trip to Illinois today, to my parents' house. (I left my Business Man at home in the Bean Town... he is re-carpeting his office and has a lot of stuff to do! Normally I wouldn't leave him when he's super-busy, but this weekend with my mom was booked over 2 months ago!)


The reason for this trip is that my mom's house is being displayed on the Historical Society's Annual Tour of Homes tomorrow! That means that she has been decorating for Christmas like a crazy woman, and I volunteered to come for the weekend and help her with any last minute details. I took a vacation day today so that I could arrive at a reasonable hour. 

We have been busy putting the finishing touches on the house, and let me tell you, it's like stepping into a Christmas Wonderland. I will do a full post with tons of pictures tomorrow so you all can share in the fun.

In the meantime, I baked up these cookies before I left the Bean Town this morning. They are very similar to a Mexican Wedding Cookie, but with mini chocolate chips thrown into the mix! They are also wrapped around a Candy Cane Kiss; very fitting for the season. I imagine you could use any type of Hershey Kiss, but I love the burst of mint in the middle.

Funny story

As I was driving home, my mom called me, just to see how my drive was going and to get my ETA. She's been reading about the 25 Days of Christmas Cookies, and all the different cookies. Usually, she's baking up a storm this time of year, too, but with the Tour of Homes and all, she hasn't had much time to bake! She ever so softly asked me on the phone, "Do you by chance have any cookies with you? I've just really been craving Christmas cookies, but have had no time to bake!" 

Haha... of course I had cookies with me! We've got cookies coming out the wazoo! So as soon as I got home, she got to have her Christmas cookie fix.


Here's the recipe!


Mini-Chip Peppermint Snowballs


  •  cups butter, softened
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups mini chocolate chips
  • 1 package Hershey kisses, candy-cane flavor
  • additional powdered sugar

Method

Preheat oven to 375*F. Beat butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt in large mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in flour; stir in mini chocolate chips. Wrap dough around unwrapped Kisses and shape into a ball. Place on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set and lightly browned. Remove from oven. Immediately sift powdered sugar over cookies, or roll warm cookies in powdered sugar.


And there you have it! And yes, that's a lot of butter. But they're oh-so-good.

Now I'm off to do some more cuddling with this little one!


Isn't she precious? My mom's puppy, Maggie. (Though she doesn't look much like a puppy anymore, she definitely sure acts like one still!)

She very much enjoyed licking the remaining flavor of the buffalo wings I had for dinner off my fingers. Who needs to wash their hands? 


Can't wait to have one of my own some day! (Hint, hint, Business Man... Christmas present?)


Comments

Business Man said…
Umm... To bad were not allowed to have dogs in our apartment... But I just bought a house this morning so were good! ; )
Me said…
we tried to make these for a christmas cookie party but there weren't any peppermint kisses so we tried the mint truffle ones and those weren't good. so then we tried to crush up candy canes and put them in the batter and they messed up the consistency so they turned out kinda gross looking but better tasting. Oye!
Sara said…
Ohhh... that's too bad. I've done it with crushed up candy canes before, and it's worked out okay. Did they get really sticky or something?
Sara said…
Ohhh... that's too bad. I've done it with crushed up candy canes before, and it's worked out okay. Did they get really sticky or something?
Me said…
they lost their ball shape like somebody deflated them and were lumpy.
Me said…
that's to be expected whenever i'm in the kitchen though...some kind of mishap. :/

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);