Skip to main content

Day 13: Cranberry Bliss Bars

Yesterday, on my drive back to the Bean Town, I mentioned I stopped at the 'Bux for my first Peppermint Mocha of the season. While there, my eyes to their 'Cranberry Bliss Bars.' I didn't purchase one, but I remembered I had tried a copy-cat recipe of this a couple years ago. And I loved it! I pulled out the recipe and made them today.



Mine!

Starbucks! (I think their photography might be a little better... Still looks pretty close though!)
They are a little more complicated than your average bar cookie, as they start with a soft base, sort of a cross between a cake and a brownie. Then they are frosted with a cream cheese frosting, sprinkled with cranberries, and drizzled with white chocolate. 
Cookie base.
With the frosting.
With the cranberries & the white almond bark drizzle.
The extra work is totally worth it! I love these with a morning cup of coffee. Or an afternoon cup of coffee. Or an evening cup of coffee. (You get the idea...) Or even just an ice-cold glass of milk.


Another bonus is the cost! You are saving a ton of money by making these yourselves.


Granted, the serving size is smaller when you make them yourselves. (Which is probably better for your waistline as well!) But, you can still eat 7 of the homemade version for the same price as one bought at Starbucks!

Homemade Version:                                    




                                                            
3/4 cup butter $1.22
1 1/4 cup brown sugar $0.28
3 eggs $0.40
3/4 tsp. ginger $0.12
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla $0.05
1 1/2 cups flour $0.22
1/2 tsp baking powder $0.03
1/2 tsp. salt $0.02
1 cup white chocolate chips $1.00
1 cup dried cranberries $1.92
4-oz. cream cheese $0.65
2 tbsp. butter $0.20
3 cups powdered sugar $0.60
4 tsp. lemon juice $0.07
1/2 cup dried cranberries $0.96
4-oz. almond bark $0.75
TOTAL COST $8.49



COST PER BAR (based on 24 bars):               $0.35 each!



Starbucks Version:      $2.45 each


By the way, all my price estimations are based off what I pay for groceries here at the local market in the Bean Town. Take a look at the total cost of the whole recipe. You can make a whole batch for the price of three from the store! Ahh-mazing.


Now go out and make some Cranberry Bliss Bars today. Because they are yummy. And festive!



Cranberry Bliss Bars


  • Bars
    • ¾ cup butter
    • 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
    • 3 eggs
    • ¾ tsp. ginger
    • 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
    • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
    • ½ tsp. baking powder
    • ½ tsp. salt
    • 1 cup white chocolate chips
    • 1 cup chopped dried cranberries
  • Topping
    • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
    • 2 tbsp. butter, softened
    • 3 cups powdered sugar
    • 4 tsp. lemon juice
    • ½ cup chopped dried cranberries
    • 4 oz. white almond bark

Method

Preheat oven to 350*F. Prepare 9x13-inch pan by lining with foil and spraying with cooking spray.

In large mixing bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add eggs, ginger, and vanilla extract; beat until smooth. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; add to creamed mixture. Stir in cranberries and white chocolate chips.

Spread dough into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes until lightly browned on top. Remove from oven to cool.

Meanwhile, for topping, cream together cream cheese and butter. Gradually add the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a cream cheese frosting.

When the bars have cooled, remove the foil from the pan, and spread the frosting over the bars. Sprinkle remaining cranberries over frosting.

Melt white almond bark in zipper bag in microwave. Trim off a corner of the bag and drizzle over bars in criss-cross patterns. Once the almond bark has set, cut into small triangles. Store in airtight container.

P.S. Check out my new poll! ---->

Comments

aevansb said…
Hey, did Ben tell you that Sarah and I spent all Saturday evening making these? They looked so good we just had to have them! And we've been enjoying them ever since! Keep up the good posts!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);