Skip to main content

When life gives you lemons.... make cupcakes?

I love spring. 




However, I'm pretty sure whenever it's the beginning of a new season, I always love it at first. Even winter. The first month or so is exciting, and snow is fun. After 4 months though, I'm over it. That's when spring comes in. Warmer temperatures, spring flowers, lighter flavors. A girl can only eat so many casseroles. (Although we had a casserole for dinner tonight. It was delicious.)


Yesterday my Business Man's brother sent me a link to a cupcake shoppe, Gigi's Cupcakes, that is located somewhat near him... just to tantalize my taste buds. It worked. 


After spending a few several minutes this morning browsing the site and oogling the different flavor combinations, I came across one that I just had to re-create, ASAP.






Sometimes you just get an inspiration and have to go with it. Immediately. I asked my Business Man if we could skip Sunday school to make cupcakes, but he didn't think that was a great idea. So I waited until after church.


These cupcakes start with a light lemon cake base, are filled with lemon curd, frosted with lemon cream cheese frosting, and garnished with shortbread cookie crumbs. Reminiscent of a lemon pudding layer dessert. Perfect for Easter!


I'm calling them Lemon Supreme Cupcakes.




First, you start off with the cupcake base. This is actually a 'light' recipe, with 2 tbsp. oil being the only fat added to the recipe. This will definitely help cancel out the oodles of cream cheese frosting and cookie crumbs that will be added later.


Once they are baked and cooled, you need to carve out a little chunk out of the top. So you have room for the lemon curd. Then you must eat all the little tops for quality control. Try to keep your Business Man out of the kitchen during this part so you don't have to share.


Pop it right out and into your mouth!



Nice little well.
Next up comes the lemon curd. Now, you could be all Martha Stewart and make your own, or just pick some up at the store. (Can you guess what I did?)


Just plop a little bit into each of the wells made in the cupcakes.


Now for the frosting. I used this basic recipe for Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting, and added the zest from one lemon. I got fancy today and used my piping tools. It reminds me of the day before my wedding when I piped 501 swirls of frosting onto cupcakes. I'm a little type-A and wouldn't let anyone else do the decorating... let's just say I had a slight hand cramp the rest of the day. But it was totally worth it!



After frosting, garnish with a few shortbread cookie crumbs. I used some crushed up Golden Oreo's that we already had from a super-sweet deal at Rite-Aid several weeks ago, but Lorna Doone's or Nilla Wafers would work great, too.


Inside-money shot!


This, my friends, is the quintessential spring dessert. Light enough so you don't have to take a big snooze afterward, but decadent enough that you feel like you splurged. 


Question: What dessert(s) are you serving for Easter? 


I haven't quite decided yet... I've been craving strawberry pretzel salad, but that's not really a dessert! I've also been eyeing PW's Springy Flower Pot Desserts. Yum!

Comments

Ooohhh...I love this! Anything with a built a mini-snack (those tops) is perfect for me!
:)
Alissa said…
I will be serving Paula Dean's microwave cupcakes. I am sure they will never measure up to this tastiness! They look delicious! We should have made these for my wedding. (Think of all the snacks you could of had)
Running Girl said…
I love anything lemon, so these look amazing!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);