Skip to main content

Energy to burn!

What does one do with all her free time during the last week of taper before the marathon?

  • Nap. Naps are good. Definitely fell asleep for a good hour after coming home from school yesterday.
Too bad I wasn't napping with this cutie... sadly she is back in IL. 
  • Read for fun. No textbooks or basal readers for this girl. I'm in the middle of In the Woods; it's pretty good so far. We have book club on Thursday. Will I finish it? Probably not... but of course I will still go for the yummy eats and conversation.
I love the bumper sticker on my fridge. "Love People. Cook them tasty food." And yes, there is a bumper sticker on our fridge. Don't ask.
  • Obsessively check the weather forecast for the marathon on Sunday.
Can't we just exchange the forecasts for Saturday & Sunday?

  • Pump myself up by looking at old racing pics of myself. Yes, it might be a little weird to look through pictures of yourself, but at this point I need all the pumping-up I can get!
I like this pic because it looks like I am flying. Look Ma! No feet on the ground! It also looks like I am giving someone the stink-eye. It's hard to look cute all the time.

One of my favorite pics, obviously because I was leading... haha. Too bad we still had a lap to go and those two girls behind me passed me. It was still a PR tho!
    That was right at the end of our cross country championships senior year. (Hence the look of death on my face.) Yes, it was cross country, and yes, we ran on the roads. The course we usually ran was extremely flooded. It was an interesting experience to say the least!

  • When all else fails, bake

I have been craving a good monster cookie lately, and while browsing through the cookbook my Business Man's mom gave me, I stumbled across these Energy Cookies.





Perfect! Chock-ful of peanut butter, oats, wheat germ, dried fruit, and sunflower seeds, these definitely fit the bill. And they're even somewhat healthy!



Crisp on the edges, and chewy in the middle, just the way I like 'em.

Energy Cookies



  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp. milk
  • ½ cup powdered milk
  • ¼ tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. baking soda
  • ¾ cup flour
  •  cup wheat germ
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 cup chopped dried apricots
  • 1 cup dried cranberries (or cherries)
  •  cup sunflower seeds

Method

Preheat oven to 375*F. In large bowl, cream together butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Add egg, milk, and vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Mix in powdered milk, baking powder, baking soda, flour, wheat germ, and oats. Stir in dried apricots, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds. Dough will be sticky.

Drop by tablespoons-ful onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 9-10 minutes at 375*F or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Enjoy!

Comments

Great photos!
I'm crossing my fingers for good weather for your race on Sunday!
:)
Running Girl said…
You are going to rock your race this weekend!
Anonymous said…
Yay! Good luck at your marathon!!! I'm rooting for you from IL.
Sara said…
Thanks guys! I'm in the excited phase now... not so nervous anymore.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);