Skip to main content

Let's talk numbers...

So... (as if you didn't know already)... I am running my first marathon on Sunday.


I am excited/nervous/petrified/happy all at the same time. I know, it takes talent to feel all those feelings at once.


In discussion with some of my friends/co-workers, a lot of people have told me, "Just run for fun! It'll be such an accomplishment to finish!"


And yes, it will be a huuuuge accomplishment to finish a marathon!


But, the competitive side of me thinks about the numbers. My finish time, pace per mile, negative splitting. After running competitively for 8+ years straight, I'm not quite ready to just "run for fun."






According to several online "running pace calculators", my half-mary time (from November) of 1:36 puts me at about a 3:20 marathon, 7:38-pace. Yikes! That is crazy fast (for a marathon).


So, in a desperate attempt for reassurance, I emailed my former coach last week asking for advice. [Side note: He has run many, many marathons, with a PR of 2:25. He knows his stuff.] I told him my sob story. "I'm afraid to start the marathon at 7:38-pace, because, yea it will feel good for awhile, but I don't want to die at mile 16! I'd still have 10.2 miles to go!" Followed by, "But I don't want to go out too conservatively and finish feeling like I could have run faster and never know what I could have done. Because who knows if I'll ever run one of these marathons again!"


So he responded with a great plan: 

  • Start out the first 8 miles at 7:55-8:00 pace. (I ended up averaging this pace for quite a few of my long runs, especially the ones I ran outside vs. treadmill.)
  • The next 8 miles at 7:45-7:50 pace.
  • Then see what I have left for the last 10.2.
I think this plan sounds great. It divides the race into segments, and I will have loads of fun figuring my splits in my head. (Which is one of my favorite things to do while running long. Remember, I am a math teacher. Numbers fascinate me.)

So, all in all, I'd be happy under 3:30. I mean, I'll be "happy" just finishing, since it is my first marathon, but I'd really like to run under 3:30. And the closer to 3:20, the better.

But we'll see what happens! It could be raining sideways and 30+mph winds. That would definitely change things.

At a track meet that likely had crazy winds. Almost all our meets were crazy windy.  Miss you ladies! 

On a slightly funnier note, I had my students "predict my finish time" today. A lot of them know I've been training for the race, so I thought this could be fun. I told them my half-marathon time from November, and let them make an educated guess from there. I will be giving extra credit to the person who is closest.

Here were some of my favorites... they left me little notes of encouragement with their guesses.

"I think your time will be maybe 2 hrs. 45 mins. Ruuunnnnn! I hope you finish!"
I hope, I do, too... haha. But pretty sure I won't be finishing in 2:45.

"Tarah says 3 hrs 22 mins! Good luck Mrs. Anderson!"

"I think it will take you 3 hrs 18 mins. Good luck! GO! GO! GO!"
The times ranged from 1:10 to 4 hours, so we shall see what happens! [Side note: 1:10, really? If they knew I ran a half in 1:36, how on earth would I run a full in 1:10?  Looks like we need to do a lesson on proportions!]

So, there ya have it. My race goals laid out. Now we'll just have to see how it goes!

Comments

Love these predictions. And seriously, if you run a marathon in 1:10 you're probably doing it wrong. Too funny!
:)
Stephanie F said…
you are SO fast! have so much fun with your race, girl. GOOD LUCK!
SbMac said…
Good luck this weekend! I did my first marathon in Disney and had the same thoughts run for time or fun. I ended up getting caught up in taking pictures and had fun. The next time around I will go for pacing and such I think! Sounds like you have a great plan in place.
Running Girl said…
Good luck this weekend! So excited for you!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);