Skip to main content

Guess Who's Coming to Visit??

No, not the Easter bunny...


But my Business Man's family!


We aren't able to go home for Easter (stupid work), so we invited both our parents to come out and spend Easter here in the Bean Town. My parents decided to come next weekend (for the marathon!) instead, but my Business Man's family is still coming this weekend! His brothers go to college about 100 miles from here, so they'll be joining us as well.

So this will be my first 'official' big holiday meal. In our teeny tiny apartment kitchen. Cooking dinner for 8. 


Now, before I start blabbering on about what will be served at our Easter celebration, I want to rewind back to last night. My Business Man had a networking event to attend up in Toledo, and of course I got to accompany him. With the promise of a yummy meal afterward.


This gave me an excuse to dress up a bit today. I mean, not that I don't dress nice everyday for school, but I made sure to look extra-cute.


I got this dress from the Limited back February on clearance. Finally had a chance to wear it!
Several students asked me what I was so dressed up for... I replied with, "I've got a hot date tonight!" And they just laughed. [Side note: I also received a kiwi fruit from a student yesterday. I guess apples are overrated.]


Anyways, after the big networking event, we headed over to Biaggi's for dinner. Swoon. 




They have the most delicious focaccia bread I have ever eaten, and they give it to you right when you sit down. With a little olive oil and parmesan cheese; I was in fluffy carb-heaven. Who says you can't start carb-loading for a marathon 9 days early?


Not my picture, but you get the idea.
I ordered the Garlic Shrimp Oreganata, which is described as "Oven-roasted shrimp in an oregano and garlic breadcrumb crust. Served with capellini pasta tossed in a fresh tomato-basil sauce." It was soooo good! And my Business Man's lasagna was delicious, too.


I just love Biaggi's. If you have one anywhere near, you should definitely try it.


Anyways... back to Easter. I mentioned my Business Man's family is coming. So I am making Easter dinner. Which I'm sure I'll get lots of help, because his family is awesome.


I braved the crowds of Meijer this morning to get my groceries, and it really wasn't too bad just yet. I knew I wouldn't want to go at all tomorrow because the day before holidays brings all the crazies to the supercenters.


Here's the loot:






I didn't get out quite as low as our usual grocery bill, but I thought I did pretty well! Just under $100 for all that.


And now for the menu. My Business Man's mom has to eat gluten-free, so I tried to incorporate things that she would be able to eat so we didn't have to cook 16 million different things.


Easter Menu 2011

Strawberry Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette
Glazed Fruit Salad
Blackberry Cheesecake

I think my Business Man's mom will be able to eat almost everything, except for the rolls. I even got gluten-free shortbread cookies for the cheesecake crust! 

While we're on the topic of Easter-type foods, I would like to flashback to Easter 2008. My Business Man and I (thinking back on it, it was probably just me) wanted to make a dish to take to both our family's Easter celebrations, so we settled on a recipe from Taste of Home for Spinach Dip in Bunny Bread.


He was just thrilled to spend his evening shaping bread dough into bunny shapes. Can't you see his enthusiasm?



I enjoyed it very much and even acted like a bunny at some points.




The finished product! And then we carved big holes out of their bellies and filled them with spinach dip. A little weird, but cute.


Maybe I'll need to add an appetizer course to the menu. ;-)


And another flashback picture:


My hair was short!
My mom and dad hid tons of Easter eggs filled with candy around the house for us to find. And we were 19 and 20 years old. And it was so much fun. For the record, I found the most eggs. Mom, will you hide eggs for us this year?


And now, we're off to go on adventure with some friends from the Bean Town. Think Swedish super-store... yessssssssssssss!

Comments

Running Girl said…
Your menu sounds great! And, the outfit for the networking event was super cute. Love it! That color looks awesome on you.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);