Skip to main content

Spring has Sprung!

The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and the grass is turning green again! Yay for spring!


Spring weather makes me crave "spring" food. Like fruits and salads and quiches and asparagus and citrus. Lemon especially.


I haven't posted a lot of breakfast recipes on the blog. On most days of the week, we usually just eat oatmeal, cereal, or a Clif bar on the way out the door. Hey, it's life. But on Sundays, I actually cook, err.... bake. Sundays are Fun-days in the kitchen! Usually I make some sort of muffin, sweet roll, or scone. Mostly scones. I love scones.





I have posted about scones once before, right here. That is my absolute favorite scone recipe. I am constantly changing up the mix-in ingredients. My favorites are cherry-chocolate chip, apricot-almond, blueberry-walnut, apple-cinnamon, and cranberry-orange. (Favorites? ha! That was five flavors right there.) I am constantly searching my brain for other flavor combinations that work would fabulously with that scone recipe.


Sunday morning I woke up waaay early, before my alarm. Too early to even go run yet. So I lay in bed and thought up delicious scone combinations. I wanted something light and springy. And it came to me: LEMON POPPYSEED! I had never even heard of a lemon poppyseed scone. Of course I had to try it. And of course we didn't have two of the key ingredients: heavy cream (for cream scones) or lemons (for lemon poppyseed.) Surprisingly, we actually had poppyseeds.


No problem, I thought... I'll pick them up at the store on my run. And so I did. I ran a longer 4.5-mile loop to the grocery store, bought my heavy cream and lemon, and then ran the 2-miles home with groceries in tow. Did I look a little ridiculous? Yes, I'm sure, but I was a girl on a mission. 


[Side note: Running with a carton of heavy whipping cream will cause the cream to get very foamy inside the carton. I almost thought it had become 'whipped' cream. Not quite. But close.]

The verdict? They were woooonderful. Like a lemon poppyseed muffin, but better. Light and delicate. Not dry at all. (Nothing worse in the world than a dry scone!) They had the perfect flavor of spring, if spring can be embodied in a flavor. These would make a great Easter morning breakfast! Just don't take any drug tests afterward.... hehe.







Lemon Poppyseed Scones

These scones are light and flaky. A perfect breakfast treat, or a wonderful addition to a brunch buffet.

  • 2 cups flour
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • zest from one lemon
  • 2 tbsp. poppyseeds
  • ½ tsp. vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp. almond extract
  • 1 cup heavy cream

Method

Preheat oven to 425*F. In bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Fold in lemon zest and poppyseeds. Combine cream with extracts, and add to flour mixture. Stir with a spatula until large clumps form. Using a squeezing motion with clean hands, press the dough into a ball until all the flour has been absorbed.

Place the dough onto a large cutting board or mat, and form into a one-inch thick disk. Cut into 6 wedges, and place on cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes at 425*F. Then, reduce heat to 350*F and bake an additional 8-10 minutes. There should be a crispy crust and a moist, light interior. Let cool about 10 minutes before serving.



Drizzle with powdered sugar glaze for extreme deliciousness.


Powdered Sugar Glaze
Combine 1-2 cups powdered sugar with a splash of milk and a splash of vanilla extract until desired consistency. 


Source: Castle in the Country


Meanwhile, on the running front...


After last week's long run (19 miles!), I've finally entered the taper! My calf is still bothering me quite a bit... I've self-diagnosed it as tendonitis, based on where and how my pain is occurring. Recovery advice (from the vast knowledge of the internet) seems to be rest, ice, and ibuprofen. Well, the rest has come as a result of tapering, I've been icing like crazy, and I need to get on the ibuprofen train. Note to readers: If I didn't have a marathon in just 17 days, I would take some time off running, no problem. I will be taking lots of rest days after the marathon. Just sayin'. Perhaps the two weeks of bad decisions, like back in college? Believe me, I will expand on that more after the marathon.


In other good news, my Business Man and I made it to the good ole' DQ for the first time since November tonight! My mom gave us a gift card for Christmas, but the DQ wasn't even open then! I was so stoked to go tonight. 


Crazy eyes! So excited!


As we tried to pay with mentioned gift card, we discovered they don't even take gift cards! I guess it's independently-owned, so they don't take 'corporate' gift cards. I'm glad I remembered to grab my wallet, too, or I would have been one unhappy-ice cream-less camper. (I guess that's why the other DQ across town doesn't even have chocolate ice cream. Which is so tragic, FYI.)


Happy, happy girl.

Anyways, I'm outta here. I gotta check out a new show, "Extreme Couponing"... haven't quite figured out my thoughts on it yet.

Questions of the Day

What's your favorite "spring" recipe?

Caramelized Onion & Bacon Quiche... believe me it will be getting its own recipe post soon. Promise.

What's your favorite DQ blizzard?


French silk pie made with chocolate ice cream. Hands down. However the DQ here in the Bean Town does not make that one so I settle with Chocolate Extreme. Which is still totally rad.

Comments

Alissa said…
My favorite spring recipe? Anything with asparagus. I have been craving it. I love it roasted! My mother-in-law has an AWESOME recipe. But no oven :(
My favorite DQ Blizzard? Cookie Jar or Caramel Brownie. I think these were both Blizzards of the month, so I am not sure if they are on the regular menu or not.
Running Girl said…
I love a yummy spring risotto - http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spring-asparagus-risotto-10000001886398/

It's amazing. YUMMM.
And, I am boring and like a cookie dough blizzard or the mint oreo.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);