Skip to main content

Making Friends with Cupcakes

So, let's rewind a few days... I went up to Moline to visit my BFF Talen. And I came bearing gifts. 12 tiny, delectable, chocolatey little gifts covered in vanilla cream cheese frosting. But before I yammer on about cupcakes for 3 hours, let me tell you about our adventures. 


This, my friends, is Talen. Also affectionately known as Tal-Tal or T-Dawg. 


In the middle of a 239482-hour ride to a track meet on a people mover. Can't you tell we just look thrilled?


Here's a slightly more attractive pic of the both of us; Talen's on the left. Then me, then Kristi, then Alissa. This was my Bachelorette party. We went to Bailey's Chocolate Bar. Hands down the best dessert restaurant in the world, in case you were wondering.


Talen & I were roommates/housemates for 2 years in college, and share the love of many things, including but not limited to the following: running, seasons of Friends, Dairy Queen chocolate ice cream (must be chocolate!), buffalo wings, and eating DQ and buffalo wings while watching seasons of Friends. We led exciting lives in college, I know.

I hadn't seen her in over 3 months so to say I was a bit excited was an understatement. As soon as we got there, we went for a run. She took me to the gorgeous riverfront of the Quad Cities and we did 9 miles on the riverfront trail. It was so easy the first half... what we didn't realize is that we had the wind at our backs the whole time. That made the second half not so pleasant. But running's always fun when you're with your BFF!


After cleaning ourselves up a bit, we headed out to lunch to this super-cute old-fashioned soda parlor & confectionary. Where I persuaded Talen & Tim (her BF) to give me all their pickles. It was bliss.


Tim's trying to creep in the picture at the edge. 
I bought a chocolate peanut butter egg from the confectionary counter. I absolutely looove Reese's eggs so I had to see how this compared. Way better! I guess real home-made candies will always win out over processed-manufactured candies. (Who knew? :-P)


>





We then dropped Tim off at his apartment so we could go do girly things, like shop, order bridesmaid dresses, and try to find some silver heels for our friend Jen's wedding this August. 


Will these work Jen? They were on super-sale at TJ Maxx!
Somehow that ended up taking all afternoon and we found ourselves hungry again, for Mexican. We ate at Los Agaves and I had a chicken fajita quesadilla the size of my face. It was dee-licious but we had to be rolled out because we were so full.

We then went to Tuesday Night Trivia, where we proceeded to get 3rd to last out of 11 teams. Not bad, right? Most of the people were twice our age, so I think we did alright. Of course we ate cupcakes while at trivia, doesn't everyone bring snacks to Trivia night?


And now... the cupcakes. They have a secret ingredient, one that I've never purchased before. 


Can you guess it?


..... 


.....


.....


Guinness Stout!


I know... I would have never thought to put beer in a cupcake either.






However, earlier this week when I was in Lori's Kitchen Store, Lori herself gave me this recipe. She dubbed it "her favorite cupcake in the world." I don't know if I could ever declare one specific cupcake to be a favorite cupcake, but this one would definitely be up there in the running.


It's moist, chocolatey, and rich without being too heavy. I added mini-chips to the batter for a little extra oomph. The vanilla cream cheese frosting is to die for, and complements the cake wonderfully. She said the best garnish is a single raspberry, but raspberries are expensive this time of year, so I went with some Ghiradelli baking chips that my mom already had in the pantry.


Before they received the luscious frosting.


I think I need to start traveling with my cupcake decorating tips, because this is not the first time I've ended up somewhere that I want to frost cupcakes beautifully but haven't been able to because I don't have my supplies. Ay ay ay... but I made things work!


Ziploc bag to the rescue!

If you are in the central IL area, you should definitely check out Lori's Kitchen Store in Washington. It's downtown on the square, and oh-so-cute! She's got tons of nifty kitchen gadgets, cake decorating supplies, and baking mixes. I love the Cheesey Garlic Beer Bread... it's my fav! She also offers 1-2 cooking classes each week, and they are super-fun as well.

Happy baking; here's the recipe!


Comments

Running Girl said…
Ooooh, yum. Those look fabulous! You are making me fantasize about cupcakes!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);