Skip to main content

Easter Celebrations

Like I said in my last post, my Business Man's family came to visit for Easter! It was so good to visit with them and spend the weekend together.


Before they came in on Saturday, my Business Man and I spent Friday taking a quick trip down to IKEA in Cincinnati with some friends just for kicks and giggles. We didn't make any big purchases, but Amber & I both came home with some lovely orchids for Easter. We also exposed John & Amber to the wonder that is Red Robin....... and my conclusion is that bottomless fries are so good.


Posing with our orchids in the store... John's being a creeper in the background. 
In addition to a beautiful flower, I also brought home a new loaf pan from IKEA! We just had one loaf pan before (the horror!) and it was super-small so I was excited to find this one, which is super-long.


Why so long? It must be a Swedish thing...
I had to test out the new pan ASAP, so Saturday morning after my last long run (!) for my marathon, I set out to make Almond Poppyseed Bread. This is one of my Business Man's mom's recipes, and man oh man is it good. It is called "bread" but due to the ingredients it should probably be considered a dessert. But that's okay, because dessert is perfectly acceptable for breakfast on holidays!




My Business Man and I gobbled this up for breakfast on Easter, before meeting his parents and little sisters at church.

My flower in the background!


Almond Poppyseed Bread


  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
  • 1 ½ tsp. salt
  • 2 ¼ cups sugar
  • 1 ½ cups milk
  • 1 cup oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tbsp. poppyseeds
  • 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ tsp. almond extract
  • Glaze
    • ¼ cup orange juice
    • 1 cup powdered sugar
    • ½ tsp. vanilla extract

Method

Preheat oven to 350*F. Combine liquid ingredients in bowl. Stir in dry ingredients. Divide among 2 greased loaf pans. Bake in preheated oven 45-50 minutes.

For glaze, combine orange juice, powdered sugar, almond extract, and vanilla extract until smooth. Drizzle over bread; then remove bread from pans.

*You can also make muffins instead of bread. Bake at 350*F about 20 minutes.




After church, we all headed back to our little apartment to make lunch/dinner. (linner?) My Business Man's brothers were in town by this point, so we had a full house! 


Everything for the meal turned out great!


Chicken up front, risotto in the back.

Risotto again, along with the almond poppyseed bread and golden honey pan rolls.
It was my first time making risotto, and let me just say that you must make it at some point in your life. And sooner rather than later. It is so creamy and delicious and you don't even have to add obscene amounts of cream, butter, and/or cheese to get it that way. I am hoping to do a post soon about this specific risotto, but in the meantime click here to see the recipe.


We also had a strawberry spinach salad and my great-aunt Betty's recipe for glazed fruit salad, which is super yummy as well. I make it a lot in the summer months for cook-outs and whatnot.






And we can't forget the dessert. PW's Blackberry Cheesecake. I could just eat bowls of the topping straight-up. Or put it on top of my oatmeal or yogurt. Now wouldn't that be a nutritious choice?


Yum............ (made with gluten-free cookie crust!)


After we were subsequently stuffed, we all tried to find a seat in our teeny apartment to watch Tangled. Very cute movie!


It was great to spend the day celebrating the risen Lord with our family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);