Skip to main content

Firin' Up the Grill

Temps in the 80s today.... what what?!? I absolutely looooved it.


I actually spent 2 hours laying outside, reading a book, and working on my tan absorbing some quality vitamin D. It was the best afternoon ever!


Tonight was not the first time we've broken out the grill this spring, but it was the first night we grilled something exciting. So far we've just grilled chicken. Not that boneless chicken breasts can't be exciting with a little BBQ rub... actually no. That's not exciting at all. But this dinner was.


Tonight it was all about the beef. (It's what's for dinner.) 






We made Hawaiian Beef Sliders. My Business Man and I discovered this slider recipe last summer after we bought our baby grill. I've never been to Hawaii, so I don't know if these burgers taste anything like burgers in Hawaii, but I do know one thing: These. Are. So. Good. And because they are sliders you get to eat more than one and not feel like a little piggy.


So many flavors! There's the sweet pineapple with the tangy feta cheese and the salty bacon. And you can't forget the burger! All piled up on a sweet little Hawaiian roll... pure delicious-ness.


I now present you with a photo montage of the assembly of the burgers.


Naked buns! No... not those type of buns. ;-)

On go the burger patties. They look lonely.

A little bit of feta makes it "bettah". Haha. I'm a poet and I didn't even know it.

Bacon, bacon, bacon! Everything's better with bacon.

Transition to the top side of the bun with a bit of crushed pineapple.

And some spinach to include at least one vegetable. 

All set and ready to go!
If you have a grill, you need to make these soon. As my Business Man and I ate them tonight, we decided these are definitely in the "Top 5 Dinner Recipes." 

I wanted to sit down and discuss what the rest of the Top 5 would be, but my Business Man didn't want any part of it. I think it reminded him of my favorite game to play, the question-asking game. This is where I ask him a bunch of random questions usually about food, including but not limited to the following: 
  • What's your favorite DQ blizzard? 
  • What's your 3 favorite flavors of BBQ sauce? 
  • If you could only have one flavor of pizza for the rest of your life, what would it be? 
  • What are your top 10 favorite restaurants from our hometown? 
He absolutely loves this game! (Nooooooooot.) It probably doesn't help that usually this game is played once we have crawled into bed and all he wants to do is go to sleep.

Anyways, burgers are good. Especially Hawaiian ones.

P.S. A word to the wise: Be careful when you drain your pineapple. It could end up all over the floor.

Not that it happened to me, no not at all.

Hawaiian Beef Sliders


  • 20-oz. can unsweetened crushed pineapple
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp. ketchup
  • 1 tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. minced garlic
  • ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 12 (one package) Hawaiian dinner rolls
  • slices bacon, cooked until crispy and sliced into 3 pieces each
  • baby spinach
  • feta cheese

Method

Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup pineapple, pepper, and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 small patties; place in a glass dish.

In a small bowl, combine reserved pineapple juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Pour marinade over burgers; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning burgers once.

Drain and discard marinade. Line grill with foil. Place patties on foil and grill 6-7 minutes. (This helps them stay together... they tend to fall apart.) When burgers are seared, remove foil from grill and place burgers directly on grill. Grill until desired doneness, flipping once.

Slice Hawaiian rolls in half. To assemble burgers, place patty on bottom half of bun. Top with a bit of feta cheese and two mini-bacon slices. On top half of bun, spoon a bit of reserved pineapple and cover with a baby spinach leaf. Sandwich together and eat! Yum!


Source: Adapted from Taste of Home.

Comments

Running Girl said…
Yum! Those sliders look great. We made mini burger this weekend as well (my husband calls them "bistro style") & he mixes feta right into the hamburger patty (along with onion that he's blended in the food processor) & various spices. He's the barbecue master.
Anonymous said…
These look amazing! I'm definitely trying this recipe next! I'm excited because I got all the stuff to make your bacon, leek, and tomato casserole tonight.
Sara said…
Running girl-- I always make my hubby do the grilling too, however I still have to get everything ready to go on it.

Kristin-- Yay for bacon! Haha... I have become slider-crazy and just dream of having a big party with dozens and dozens of sliders on trays. I don't think it will happen though because of the size of our apartment and the size of our grill. It only holds 10 sliders at once. I wish we could have you over for a bbq! I miss you!
Alissa said…
I love the question game! As I recall, Tal-tal does not like the game very much either. I always ask Ian, "what is your favorite..." He does not have favorites. It makes the game very short.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);