Skip to main content

It's All Greek to Me...

One of my favorite things about summer is grilling. It just screams summer. 





Since we've been gone most of the month of June, we haven't gotten to use our grill very much yet. (And yes, we are still using the baby grill that can hold about 4 burgers. Plans to get a big boy/grill are in the very near future.)


That all changed last night, with a twist on the classic burger. After seeing so many Greek-ish recipes floating around the internet, I decided to do a Greek-inspired burger.





And yum-O! These were fabulous! The burger is made up of a mixture of beef, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, parsley, garlic, and breadcrumbs. Pretty nutritious, actually.




It's topped with a feta aioli, which complements the burger perfectly. We topped the burgers with some spinach, more sun-dried tomatoes, and grilled onion rings. Served on pita or naan bread, it's a winner!


And yes, it's all pretty lying on the pita bread like in the pictures above, but not real practical for eating. This is what happened before we dug in:





Greek Burgers


  • Feta Aioli
    • ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
    • ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
    • 1 tsp. minced garlic
    • ¼ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
  • Burgers
    • 1 sweet onion, sliced into thick rings
    • 1 lb. ground beef
    •  cup panko crumbs
    •  cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
    • 1 tsp. dried parsley
    • 1 tsp. dried oregano
    • ¼ tsp. salt
    • ¼ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
    • 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, & squeezed dry
    • 1 egg , lightly beaten
    • 2 tsp. minced garlic
    • 4 pitas or naan breads
    • additional sun-dried tomatoes
    • spinach

Method

Prepare grill to medium heat. While grill is heating up, prepare burgers.

Combine beef, panko crumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, spinach, egg and garlic in large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Divide into 4 equal portions; shape into patties.

Place patties on grill, and cook for 6 minutes on each side until desired doneness. During last 4-5 minutes of grilling, add onion slices to grill.

While burgers are grilling, prepare feta aioli. In a bowl, combine yogurt, feta, garlic, and pepper.

To assemble burgers, place a patty on the pita bread. Top with feta aioli, spinach, grilled onions, and additional sun-dried tomatoes.

Enjoy!


In other news, the downstairs of our house is pretty much complete! This past weekend when my parents were here, we re-painted the kitchen, re-did the baking nook's floors, and hung an awesome chandelier in the dining room. (Along with finishing up the 'problem child' room upstairs.)

So here's some before & after pics of the downstairs!

Living Room

Before.

After.

After, from other side of room. (I made those curtains! Go me!)
Dining Room
Before.

After, still needs some curtains.

After, other view. Don't you love the light fixture?
Baking Nook

Before.

Before, wasn't that wallpaper lovely?

After.

After; we painted over the yellow.

My cupcake sign! :)

Kitchen
Before.


First paint color, Wasabi. (aka baby puke color) 

Final paint color, Bella Mint. Much better. Can't wait to tile the floor eventually. And get my dark granite countertops. In time...

Well guys, that's it for now! Today's project is to unpack and assemble our bookcases from the apartment into the spare bedroom upstairs. I already carried them all up from the garage yesterday and my arms are so S-O-R-E today! I am considering that a sign that I should probably get into some strength training... or not. ;-)


Happy Thursday!

Comments

SbMac said…
The house looks awesome!
Those burgers look delicious! Such a good idea!

Also, the house looks so cute. I love the color you chose for the dining room!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);