Skip to main content

I scream, you scream, we all scream for...

ICE CREAM! 


July is National Ice Cream Month and yesterday was National Ice Cream Day! That's my kind of holiday. We celebrated with a trip to the ice cream shoppe for some Triple Chocolate Confusion and Raspberry Fudge. Yum.


But sometimes you want an ice cream treat but don't want to leave your house. Like when it's 90*F outside with a heat index of 99. Because you will be sweating buckets just getting into your car. And by the time you get your ice cream cone and attempt to eat it, it will become a big puddle of ice cream soup on the ground. No bueno.




That's why you should make a batch of these Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches, and keep them in the freezer for those days when it's too hot to do anything but sit on the couch and watch HGTV. Or nap all afternoon. Or solve critical thinking math problems from your students' textbooks. Not that I do that or anything. 





The cookie base is essentially the clone of an Oreo. But a bigger, badder, more chocolatey Oreo. I sandwiched cookies & cream ice cream between two cookies to create an even more Oreo-y treat. ("Oreo-y?") 


If I was really channeling my inner-Martha Stewart, I would have made homemade ice cream to go between the cookies. But it's kinda hard to do that without an ice cream maker. (But I do have a surprise coming in the mail soon so that might be changing!)


But these are good. Even with store-bought ice cream. Really good. And the good news is that since they're frozen, they won't go stale after 2-3 days like regular cookies do. But that's not a guarantee they'll last more than 2-3 days in your freezer. ;)

It's a little tricky to assemble them; the best type of ice cream to buy is the kind that comes as a big rectangular prism. (Yes, a rectangular prism. Remember, I teach geometry.) 





You then slice it wedges, and use a cookie cutter or small glass to cut out cylinders about the size of your cookies.






And if when there's scraps of ice cream, you get to eat them up. As long as you don't have a Business Man taking pictures for you because then he might get to them first. 


Once they're frozen solid, you can wrap them individually in parchment. 


So cute!
Enjoy!


Ice Cream Sandwiches


  •  cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup dark cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • ¼ tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  •  cups sugar
  • 10 tbsp. butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ gallon ice cream, any flavor (packaged in a rectangular prism)

Method

Preheat oven to 375*F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. On low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue mixing until dough comes together in a mass.

Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out dough and roll into balls. Place on baking sheet, and flatten slightly. Bake 9 minutes, until edges are set but inside is still soft. Let cool before assembling.

Take your ice cream out of the freezer and place onto a large cutting board. Unfold and throw away the box. Slice into pieces about 3/4 to 1-inch thick. Using a small glass or cookie cutter, cut out a circle of ice cream about the size of your cookies. Sandwich between two cookies. It will be messy. That's okay. You have to work quickly.

Place ice cream sandwiches in sealed container and place back in freezer. Once frozen solid, wrap individually.

Comments

This is just amazing! I know this is going to be my hubby's favorite--he's such an oreo fan, and an ice cream sandwich fan. Perfect!
Running Girl said…
Oh my, that looks amazing. I'm drooling here.
Rachel said…
So I am in the process of attempting these delicious looking things! Batch 1 resulted in GINORMOUS cookies, so I am going to try for batch #2! I guess I'll just have to eat the first batch sans ice cream. Darn. :)
Sara said…
@Rachel- you could always crumble them over ice cream! or have mammoth ice cream sandwiches... haha

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);