Skip to main content

Bon Voyage to Mickey Mouse & Our Adventures in the Magic Kingdom

Hi friends! We are home from Disney World. It was a blast. I had full intentions of blogging while we waited for 2.5 hours in the airport, but the internet there was not good at uploading pictures. And who wants to read about Disney World without seeing pictures. Not me.

Instead of doing one huge monster post that will probably be too ridiculously long to read, I am going to blog about each of the parks we visited! [Side note: If you don't care about Disney World, feel free to skip these posts entirely.]



We will start off with our visit to the Magic Kingdom. It was the very first of the parks built down in Disney World, and according to Wikipedia was the most visited theme park in the world in 2010 with 17 million visitors. Yikes that's a lot of people.


Classic castle shot.


The Magic Kingdom is divided into a bunch of different sections: Main Street, U.S.A., Adventureland, Frontierland, Liberty Square, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland.


The first place we stopped was the Main Street Bakery. If you go anywhere in the Magic Kingdom, you must stop here. They have the best cinnamon rolls for just $3.49. I know, you're thinking, "But I could buy an entire can of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls for that much!" But this is Disney. Nothing is cheap at Disney. 




So my Business Man and I shared this warm mountain of frosting and goodness. My other piece of advice regarding the Main Street Bakery & cinnamon rolls is that if you are sharing, make sure you cut it in half first. Because sometimes you and the person you are sharing with do not eat at the same speed and you might get gypped out of your half of the cinnamon roll. Not that this happened or anything. Not at all.




Also, while walking down Main Street, we witnessed this lovely street band. I suggested that my Business Man take up a new career.


My Business Man used to play the sax. Could you picture him in this picture?
After our explorations down Main Street, we headed off to Frontierland. Think the Wild Wild West. I tried to lock my Business Man up but he wouldn't go for it.


Not too happy.
After I decided that I would keep him, we traveled on to explore Tom Sawyer's Island. This was fun, but we kept getting confused, retracing the same path over and over again. So that quickly ended, and we rode the Thunder Mountain Railroad.






And we also ran into this guy. Please ignore the random stranger's child that is in the photo. I didn't really want to wait 20 minutes to meet the Wild Wild West version of Donald Duck.





After exploring Frontierland to the fullest, we headed to Liberty Square, which is modeled after an American Revolutionary town. My Business Man wanted to go to the Hall of Presidents show, but I called his bluff and realized he just wanted to sit in the A/C and not have to walk around for awhile.


So we went to the Haunted Mansion instead. There was lots of entertainment while we waited in line. 




Disney has a way of entertaining kids, while also entertaining adults. Sarcastic jokes that would go right over a child's head but leave an adult smiling. It was fun to read all the gravestones and such.


As for the ride? It was fun... not too spooky, but entertaining nonetheless. You ride in a small buggy with just 2-3 people each, so it seems like you're the only one on the ride.


Our last stop for the day was Adventureland. (I know, we skipped Fantasyland and Tomorrowland... it was hot. And there were lots of screaming children.)


The main highlight here was the Jungle Cruise




It is supposed to simulate a riverboat cruise down the central rivers of Asia and Africa. And yes, it was very corny, as expected. A "tour guide" takes you an a boat down a river through the jungle. You almost die from animal attacks and the boat almost tips over from a waterfall. And indigenous people almost capsize your boat. And you listen to a lot of stupid jokes.




And then, after Adventureland, we went home. And by home, I mean back to our hotel to the pool. Which was lovely. Which I'll talk about another day, because this is as much Disney as I can handle in one post.


So, to sum it up, the best part of Magic Kingdom?


CINNAMON ROLLS! :-D

Comments

Sounds like a fun trip! Can't wait to hear more! I'm really, really hoping you went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter... :)
Sara said…
Unfortunately we did not! I wanted to, but my hubby does not really enjoy HP. Also, we were staying on Disney property and had no car so we really had no way of getting there... maybe some day!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);