Skip to main content

3, 2, 1 Action! - Disney's Hollywood Studios

I know. We've been back from Disney World for almost 10 days now. I promise this is the last Disney World post. Because it's the last park we went to - Hollywood Studios. (We never quite made it to Animal Kingdom... whoops?)





We went the first morning, and high-tailed it straight to the Tower of Terror. The wait was only about 20 minutes, not bad.




My Business Man and I were actually a bit scared going into this ride. We both had remembered it being scary when we were younger.




The verdict? Not so scary anymore. It was actually a lot of fun. I imagine it'd be super scary for a kid though. (Although the 8 & 9-year olds in our elevator were bragging that this is the fourth time they'd ridden it. Maybe not so scary for them either.)


The other awesome ride at Hollywood Studios is the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. This is the closest to a 'real' rollercoaster you'll get at Disney. (Comparing to Six Flags, Cedar Point, places like that.) 





It goes from 0 to 57 mph in just 2.8 seconds. Wow that's fast. And then you go upside down 3 times! It was so much fun. But gave me a slight headache for the next couple hours, but totally worth it.


After the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, we needed something a bit more mellow, so we checked out Disney's American Idol. This was so neat! We are not even big Idol fans, but enjoyed this show a lot.




Each morning, park guests have the opportunity to 'try out' for American Idol. Three contestants are selected to perform at the showings during the day, and a winner is chosen by an audience vote. (Don't worry, there are still judges to give their snarky opinions!)


Then, at a final show in the evening, all the winners from throughout the day compete against each other. The winner in the evening gets a special 'golden ticket' that grants them front of the line access to a real American Idol audition. Cool, huh?

We actually watched the show twice, on two separate visits. Some contestants were really good; others not so much. It was entertaining, and a great way to stay out of the heat! Too bad neither my Business Man nor myself can sing; it would have been really fun to participate!


We encountered some rain while visiting Hollywood Studios... and therefore succumbed to the over-priced Disney ponchos.




And then headed over to dinner at the 50s Prime Time Cafe, where they treat you like family. Literally. My Business Man got yelled at more than once for putting his elbows on the table. Heh.




We got to sit and wait in the living room decked out in 50s decor, complete with TV shows playing, until our table was ready.




It's Mom's home cookin' here, and we ordered the classics - fried chicken, mashed potatoes, & greens for me and meatloaf and mashed potatoes for my Business Man. It was good, albeit probably not worth the price-tag. I think you pay more for the experience, which was excellent and entertaining. You get a lot of laughs during your meal, whether it's the waitress making fun of you for not finishing your peas, or watching the families around you. 




For example, a boy at a table near us (probably 12 or 13 years old) went to get the electric scooter that was at the front of the restaurant for his grandma. He drove it back to where they were dining. And proceeded to crash into a table and spill a bunch of food. It was pretty funny... and the waitresses made it even better.


We did a few of the other small attractions - Animation Studios, One Man's Dream, the Great Movie Ride. We really enjoyed this park... I think it caters to adults the best out of all the parks. (Did I just call myself an adult? Yikes!)


Question: Have you ever been to Disney? What was your favorite attraction/park?




Other Disney recaps:

Comments

Have Your Way said…
I LOVE Disney!!! When I went there I waited FOREVER for Soarin but it was worth it!!

Yes they did get married at Kickapoo Winery!! It was BEAUTIFUL :) It was SUPER hot out there on Friday, but it was SO beautiful :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);