Skip to main content

Baking Bucket List

Today is November 1st. That means one thing, and one thing only - time to get ready for Christmas! I can now 'officially' listen to Christmas music (Michael Buble's new album is awesome!), plan Christmas festivities, make Christmas gifts, and bake to my heart's content.


Since the Christmas season is the baking season, I thought I'd share with you a list of baked goods/food items on my Baking Bucket List. These are recipes/methods that I find a bit intimidating (or that I just have never had the chance to make) that I would like to tackle sooner or later. (But sooner, really.)


Since the months of November and December gives me even more excuses to bake, hopefully I'll get to try some of these over the next several weeks!


Doughnuts. From scratch. Deep-fried and all. I've had my eye on this recipe for Apple Cider Doughnuts for quite some time now. The hot oil scares me.


From Sweet Pea's Kitchen


Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies. I've had this recipe bookmarked since last November. And this year, I've already decided, I'm making them for Thanksgiving. Even if it means I lug them 400 miles from the Bean Town to my grandma's house. 


From How Sweet It Is

Homemade Pretzels. Either in bun form or these little bites. The whole process seems super involved. Make dough. Let dough rise. Shape dough. Let rise again. Boil. Then bake. So many steps! But these little bites are stuffed with ham & cheese and look so delectable.


From Pennies on a Platter

Focaccia Bread. Particularly this Amaretto Cherry Focaccia bread. We had this at the B&B on our honeymoon, and it was the best sweet bread I have ever had. No joke. Must make soon.


Homemade Marshmallows. Why not? Wouldn't they be the perfect gift, with some homemade cocoa mix?


From Smitten Kitchen
Baklava. One of my mom's friends is Greek. Very Greek. When I was little, I remember going to her house every year at Christmas-time, and there was always this huge pan of baklava. And it was so good. Buttery, sweet, full of walnuts. It has been way too many years since I've had baklava. Time to fix that.


Flour Tortillas. These have been on my list ever since I saw one of my friends mention it on facebook. I had never even thought of it! I usually don't love flour tortillas from the store, but I have a feeling I might think different about the homemade version. 


From the Pioneer Woman


Sourdough Bread. This intimidates me, big time. You have to make a starter, and feed the starter, and time everything just right. I'm just not quite that organized. But sourdough bread is so good! It has to be worth it.


Apple Dumplings. No worries about preparing these; I've just always wanted to make them. 


Cream Puffs. Particularly the kind that you can find at the Illinois State Fair. These things are massive and are so delicious. 


No need to tell me that my photography skills are fantastic, heh.

Of course, there are other recipes that used to be on my bucket list, but have now been successfully prepared! (And devoured.)

Homemade Pizza Dough. I found the best tutorial at Annie's Eats. It's all about the method of baking, well, and the homemade dough.

I need to make this again soon.

Yeasted Coffee Cake. This tasted just like the kind you buy from the fancy bakeries. Another recipe from Annie's Eats. I need to make this again soon.



Apple Danish Braid. My first attempt at pastry with a butter square. Totally worth the long prep and wait time. I'm already thinking about a blueberry version. And yes, again, from Annie's Eats. She knows her stuff!

Cake Pops. Yes, I have become very familiar with cake pops




So, who wants to come to the Bean Town for a weekend and bake up a storm? What's on your Baking Bucket List?

Comments

Have Your Way said…
Well I do live in OHIO and I live like maybe 2 hours from you so I would LOVE to come bake with you Sara!!! It would seriously be a DREAM to first off meet you, and then secondly bake with you :)

Some of those recipes look DELICIOUS!!!
This is a seriously ambitious list! If anyone can do it though - it's you! I think I'd love to tackle homemade marshmallows and tortillas most.
Alissa said…
I want to bake bread from scratch. I do not like yeast recipes. I am always worried about killing the yeast, then I make a HUGE mess with the dough sticking to everything when I try to roll it out...good thing I have a friend who always makes cinnamon rolls while I talk to her and husband to make cinnamon rolls when said friend is approximately 7400 miles away :) I would also like to perfect cheesecake making (it would also add motivation to run more)
Sara said…
@Have Your Way - how far are you from Lima?

@Vanessa - yes, the marshmallows are so intriguing!

@Alissa - haha, yes for sure! maybe next time we are together we can tackle cheesecake!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);