Skip to main content

Maple-Oatmeal Scones

It's no secret that scones are my favorite breakfast treat. Give me a big fluffy scone from Great Harvest any day of the week, and I'm a happy girl. (Never mind the sugar crash that comes 2 hours later...)


I'm always on the look-out for new flavors to try, and when I saw this maple-oatmeal scone recipe, I just had to make it. I even splurged on real maple syrup! (Not the fake pancake syrup... sorry Mrs. Butterworth, you don't quite cut it for genuine maple flavor.) 



These are crisp on the outside and light and flaky on the inside, with a subtle maple flavor. The oats give them a bit of heartiness, and the pecans a nice buttery crunch. Walnuts would be just as good, I'm sure.




These delicious scones are perfect for fall, so hurry up and make them before the dreaded S-word comes! (Although I'm really looking forward to some snow... I'm in desperate need of a snow day. And there's something quite magical about running through freshly fallen snow. Remind me that when it's still snowing in March.)

Maple-Oatmeal Scones


  • For scones
    •  cups all-purpose flour
    • ¾ cups oatmeal
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    •  teaspoons baking powder
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    •  cup cold butter, diced
    • ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    • ¼ cup pure maple syrup
    • ½ cup buttermilk or half & half
    • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    • ½ teaspoon maple extract
  • For maple glaze
    • 1 cup powdered sugar
    • 2-3 tablespoons milk
    • ½ teaspoon maple extract

Method

Preheat oven to 400*F. Grease a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter using two knives (or your fingers) until crumbly. Stir in chopped nuts.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together maple syrup, buttermilk, and extracts. Pour into flour mixture and stir until dough just comes together.

Flip dough out onto floured surface and pat into a 1-inch thick circle. Slice into 6 wedges and place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 16-20 minutes, until scones are golden brown.

While scones cool, prepare glaze. Combine powdered sugar, milk, and maple extract until smooth. Add more powdered sugar or more milk to get the desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled scones.


Source: Baking Bites


Other delicious scone recipes:


---


Besides eating scones yesterday, I tackled a kitchen project that I've been putting off for awhile - cleaning out the refrigerator and cabinets!


Ever since we moved into our house (oh... 6 months ago) my kitchen cabinets have been a mess. Stuff was just stashed wherever it would fit, and didn't really have any organization to it at all. 


STUFF!

EVERYWHERE!
My Business Man says that my new organization still doesn't make any sense, but at least it does to me! Haha.


My happy cabinet! Sprinkles, oatmeal, cereal... all the best things in life.

Apparently I thought there might be a Jell-O shortage, the way I have stocked up. And we don't even eat Jell-O. What the junk?!

The basics... this is a high shelf, so things I don't need everyday.

Another favorite... definitely in this cabinet everyday.
We finished off the night with Buffalo Chicken Nachoes and a rental movie on the couch. No better way to spend a Saturday night.


These weren't exactly what I was shooting for... so no recipe. I will try again though, because I think they have the potential to be awesome!

Comments

Running Girl said…
Um, nachos + scones? YUM. I'm getting hungry looking at your post! I love baking scones, so I will definitely be trying this recipe.
You and those scones!! <3 them!!!
Gossip Kitteh said…
My parents are coming this weekend and I'm going to make these scones! Thanks for the recipe!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);