Skip to main content

FOLEPI River Trail Classic 2011

This past Saturday, I ran the FOLEPI River Trail Classic. It's a 4-mile point-to-point race and all downhill. Well, not quite all, but if you average out the whole course it's definitely downhill.

So, a chance to go really fast. This was my sixth year running this race, and it's become quite the Thanksgiving tradition. My mom walks the 2-mile walk, I run the race, and my Business Man comes to watch. My aunt even joined in the fun this year and walked with my mom!

I thought it'd be fun to look up my past results before I raced this year, to see what type of goal I should come up with for myself. Keep in mind, during my college years (2006-2009), this was typically my first run back after a 2-week break. So I didn't take it too seriously.
  • 2006 - 29:20
  • 2007 - 29:24
  • 2008 - 30:49
  • 2009 - 26:12
  • 2010 - 26:21
After looking at these times, I determined that I wanted to run sub-26:00. I've had a great fall of PR's, and knew that it was possible.

On Saturday, I woke up to rain and 40* temps. Not quite my favorite for running. The temperature, yes, but accompanied by rain, not-so-much. My least favorite running weather is a cold rain. (Bring on the snow instead!)

But, we made it to the race, and I was on one of the first busses up to the start. (It's a point-to-point, so they bus you the four miles up to the start.)

I warmed up, did a few leg swings & striders, and was ready to go promptly at 9:00am. Too bad some of the runners did not make it on the early busses, so we had to wait an extra 10-15 minutes before they could start the race. I don't mind waiting if the weather's cooperative, but it was cold! Eventually the race director came and blew the horn without so much as a 'get ready'. So it was a mad dash to start the race, everyone trying to get their footing!

My mom got some pics toward the finish.
We started the race, and I settled into a pace that felt very fast, but comfortable. As comfortable as you can be when running a 4-mile race. I never got that exhausted, OMG-so-tired, must-stop-running-now feeling. But, I was definitely ready to be finished during the last mile. 

So fast the camera couldn't even keep me in focus, haha. ;-)
Here's my mile splits:
  • Mile 1 - 6:18
  • Mile 2 - 6:19
  • Mile 3 - 6:23
  • Mile 4 - 6:16
  • Total - 25:16 (6:19 avg)
I was first female, and obviously very happy about my race! I achieved my sub-6:30 pace goal by quite a bit. I also think I have finally learned how to race pretty evenly. So, all in all, a very good day.

Soaking wet, but happy.
And the best thing about this race? (Besides the Avanti's pizza & gondolas afterward...)

Posing so pretty... (or so I tell myself...)
Hoodies! No lame-o cotton t-shirt that you only will wear to sleep. A cozy hoodie to keep you warm all winter. Love it.


I thought this was going to be my last race of 2011, but I found out about a Jingle Bell 5km in a few weeks, so I'm pretty sure I'll be racing that as well. I might even try to go sub-19:00! Although that scares me quite a bit.

Comments

Congrats! That is a serious PR! And I love the hoodie - much nicer than another cotton tee!
:)
Have Your Way said…
Great run Sara!!!

Cute hoodie!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);