Skip to main content

The [Almost] 10km

So yesterday, I mentioned that I raced a 10km. It was the first annual Kewpee 10km, held by the Bean Town YMCA. The race was held in the afternoon - and the weather was beautiful. 60s & sunny, but quite a bit of wind. 


Ready, set, GO!
Since the race was in its first year, it was not organized very well. No one really knew exactly what time it started (some time between 2 & 2:30.) The map was nearly impossible to decipher, and I even live in the neighborhood that the race ran through. I can't imagine if I'd have driven from out of town to run it! I wouldn't have had a clue. 


There was a loop that we were supposed to run through the park that was particularly confusing. (Everyone kept saying "just follow the people in front of you.")


A beautiful day outside.
However, in a super small race, there isn't always somebody in front of you! After the first two miles, I was the lead female, and third overall in the race. I bet you can see where this is going. I went to do my loop in the park, got confused, and ran the wrong way. 


There wasn't anybody in the park directing people where to go. I asked some random Sunday afternoon park goers where the two guys ahead of me had gone, and they pointed two different directions. (Each of the guys in front of me had gone a different way.)


So I ran the wrong way, did a different little loopty-loop, and got myself back on the course. However, I ended up cutting off some mileage in the process. Whoops.


I finished up the last 2.5 miles of the race, knowing I had messed up. Finishing a race where you know you cut the course is very disheartening! I almost wanted to drop out. But that would be silly. I know that I slowed down in the last couple miles. I finished in 41:34, and was 1st female and 3rd overall. 


Running towards the finish.
I talked to the race director about the course and what happened, and I decided to forgo any prizes. I felt too guilty!

Once I got home, I mapped the course that I actually ran, and it ended up being 6.15 miles. So I was only 0.05 miles short. Heh. So my official pace was 6:45 average. I'll just consider it an extra speedy tempo run. ;-)


Lesson learned - study the map and ask questions if you're confused! And don't get too shaken up over itty bitty races; they're mostly for fun.


Question: Have you ever run the wrong way in a race before?


In addition to yesterday's race, I ran the wrong way in a 5km last fall. I added on about 0.3 miles to the course. Whoops.


In high school, there was a cross country meet where myself and a team mate ran the wrong way, and ended up flying down a rocky ravine. (It was a trail race.) That was real fun. I was crying legitimate tears during that race... I was so scared of falling down that hill.

Comments

Talen said…
At a Fresh/Soph race in h.s. I was actually in first until I took a wrong turn, they told me after only like 5seconds, but the other girl was right behind me. I ended up getting 5th. :( My coach also proceeded to call me "Wrong-Way Gerber" the rest of the season. You have probably heard this story though. Good job anyways on the race!
Rachel said…
I've never ran the wrong way in a 5km since I'm always in the waaaay back, but on my mom's very first 5k, the volunteers directed her and a few others in the wrong directions so they ended up running extra! Leave it to Lima races, I guess! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);