Skip to main content

Take Five

With Halloween just a few days away, I thought I would talk a bit about my favorite candies. I am really not much of a candy person - give me a choice between a baked good and a piece of candy, I'll choose the baked good almost every time.


However, there are a few candy bars that I absolutely enjoy. Pretty much anything to do with chocolate and peanut butter, together. Reese's cups. Reese's Sticks. And the best ever... Take 5 bars. Oh yes.




Five of the best ingredients - peanut butter, peanuts, caramel, pretzel, and chocolate - all in one crispy, crunchy, chewy chocolatey bite. Delicious.


Today's a pretty lazy Saturday, so I decided that I'd try my hand at making homemade Take 5 bars. It didn't seem that difficult. And it wasn't.


I started off with some little waffle pretzels


I spread a little crunchy peanut butter on each one. (Taking care of the peanut butter and peanuts portion.)




I then melted some unwrapped Kraft caramels with a splash of milk, and placed a small amount on top of the peanut butter pretzel. 




At this point, I set them in the freezer about 10 minutes so the peanut butter and caramel could set up.


Time for chocolate! I melted some semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave, then added a small amount of canola oil to thin it down a bit.




I dipped each of the pretzels, and voila! 




After a quick trip in the fridge, they were ready. Homemade Take 5 bars! Super simple and super quick. (Less than 30 minutes total, if I remember right.)




And super delicious. I really enjoy semisweet chocolate coating... the store-bought bars are coated with milk chocolate, but I love that these homemade ones have dark chocolate. Yum.


---


Other reasons to love lazy Saturdays?


Skipping my running group to sleep in and make breakfast with my Business Man.




Pumpkin pancakes, they were delicious. And I'll meet up with the running group tomorrow. ;-)

Comments

Talen said…
This has changed my life. lol.
jana chambers said…
I LOVE Take 5!! Those look delicious!
Anonymous said…
I stumbled upon this recipe when I was looking for "homemade Take 5" recipes. These are perfect!! However, one twist I did find to make things a bit easier was use peanut butter pretzels. I was actually looking for the "nugget" type but I found sandwich pretzels w/ PB which worked great!

Next time I make these, I may try using the caramel apple wraps which are a little less messy. I figured I could wrap the whole pretzel in the caramel and it would be very easy to pick up and dip! Thanks for the recipe!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);