Skip to main content

Last Long Run... One week to go!

Hi friends. I haven't talked much about running lately, or so it seems.


No worries, I'm still running. My half-marathon is one week from today!


My knee has been giving me some trouble...caused by a super-tight IT band. And of course my foam roller is currently being borrowed by one of my XC girls because she was having IT band issues! But no worries, my Business Man has been taking care of it. I just get a super-awesome leg massage every night. :)


This morning was my last long run of this training cycle. Just 10 miles. I planned to meet up with my running group this morning at 7am. (They were running 7 miles.) I thought I'd add on a couple before so I didn't have to add on after, and must have missed them by just 2 or 3 minutes. Boo. I even ran the scary loop in the cemetery backwards hoping to cross paths (that's where they often run first), but no dice.


Oh well, I got my 10 miles in by my lonesome, even sans iPod. Good mental training for next week, no distractions.


The best part? Coming home to this.


With some honeycrisp slices on the side.
My Business Man and I started talking about apple fritters yesterday, and couldn't get them out of our minds. The perfect Sunday breakfast. (Probably should have had some protein with this to recover from the run. Whoops. Does coffee count?)


I just realized I haven't recapped the last 3 weeks of training (busy much?), so here's just the main highlights.


September 19 - 25, 2011
  • 14 mile long run 
  • 4x1-mile repeats @ 6:24, 6:25, 6:23, 6:25
  • 56 miles total (new weekly mileage PR)
September 26 - October 2, 2011
  • 10.4 mile long run 
  • 6-mile tempo @ 6:52-avg
  • 43 miles total
October 3 - 9, 2011
  • 10.2 mile long run 
  • 5-mile tempo @ 6:45-avg
  • 42 miles total
And now we're into taper mode! I'll be running mostly easy this week, with an extra rest day. My only speed workout is 3 miles at "goal race pace." Which I haven't quite figured out just yet. Heh. Post to come.

---

In other news, our Saturday afternoon was spent at a Fire Safety Day for my Business Man's business.


Complete with free fire hats, hot dogs, and coloring books. A good time was had by all.

The "Neigh Bear" grills a mean hot dog. Just sayin'.
One of my Business Man's team members did a great job of playing the "Neigh Bear." I know I wouldn't enjoy that!

[Flashback to 2007-->

Apparently this was 'romantic', due to my popped foot? Anyone seen Princess Diaries? 
Way back when, my Business Man dressed as the Neigh Bear to promote his business at a popular ice cream stand back in our hometown in Illinois. Of course I had to go 'visit' and taunt him. And have an ice cream cone.]

After our exciting afternoon, we really took it to another level. And went grocery shopping.

And found these:



Um... yeah. Delicious. And only $5.99. Not sure you can even buy a pound and a half of regular almonds for that price. If only I had these before I made this granola. Next time for sure.

Comments

Sarah Grecco said…
Pumpkin spice almonds!!!!!!!!!! I must get those right away!!!

xo
Sarah
Get Up & Go
I'm so excited for your race coming up! Racing is the best and with that 5 mile tempo run this last week you're going to kick trash!!!

Those almonds look pretty tasty... I don't know that anyone could rival your pumpkin knowledge and experience!
Alissa said…
You are crazy with your 56 mile week! I am so excited to try the apple fritter bread you posted on pinterest! Yeah! Good luck with your half.
Sara said…
@Sarah - yes you do! they're fabulous!

@Jessica - thanks for the encouragement! I'm getting to that point where you start to doubt everything... which is not good.

@Alissa - I know! that looks so good!
Hi Sara! I just found your blog from Jessica's blog and love it! First of all, you are super fast (I am impressed as a fellow runner!) and second, I also live right near Boston when not at school... I love it there
Sara said…
@Tessa - I'm glad you found me! And thank you!

Haha, I actually don't live anywhere near Boston. I live in a small town in Ohio, called Lima. Like a lima bean... that's where I get 'Bean Town." :) You're not the first to make that mistake!
aevansb said…
My favorite pictures ever of Ben (which, maybe it's weird that I have fave pictures of Ben, but idk) are of him as neigh bear. especially the one of him laying in the back of a truck! Neigh Bear down!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);