Skip to main content

How to Boil Water

So, as you probably know, I am a teacher. I [attempt to] impart mathematical wisdom in various ways to teenagers all day long. (Case in point: Today, we constructed triangles and non-triangles out of uncooked spaghetti noodles to establish the Triangle Inequality Theorem. I ended up with spaghetti noodles tucked into my back pockets, yes by a student, and spaghetti noodles scattered all over the floor. And I swear they're all at least 14 years old. At least that's what they tell me.)


Anyways, last night was a role reversal and I became the student! I attended the Taste of Home Cooking School with a few of my girlfriends. (Last year I made my Business Man come along because we had no friends yet. He's glad that has changed. And so am I.)



The instructor was hilarious, and guided us through ten step-by-step recipes all found within the magazine. She made Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, Groundnut Stew, Thai Chicken, Cranberry Roasted Pork Tenderloin Sliders, Tuscan Bread Salad... everything looked so delicious. You can bet I will be making some of those recipes soon.




There were tons of door prizes, like 50! But of course, none of us were winners. Sigh. But we did get some great swag in our goodie bags! Two magazines, a few other recipe booklets, a full jar of mustard (blecch), a wooden spoon, a dough scraper, and loads of coupons. Oh, and a free magazine subscription! It definitely made up for the $10 tickets.


All in all, it was a very enjoyable evening. It's always fun to go out on a 'school night' even if it means getting to bed a little late.


I chose to sleep in  today (to the oh-so-late hour of 6:30am) and run after school instead of waking up in the  5 o'clock hour. Today was my only speed work-out of the week, 3 miles at goal race pace.


I did my usual tempo loop (which is a 3-mile loop that I usually run twice, because I know all the half-mile and mile marks.)


I aimed for a 7:00-7:10 pace and finished right with a 7:00 average. It wasn't super-hard but it wasn't like a frolic in the park either. 


My thought process was a bit like this: 


Finish first mile. "Hmmmph, not so bad. On Sunday, you'll only have to go this pace for 84 more minutes."


Finish second mile. "Okay, still not too terrible. Now you'll only have 77 minutes left."


And so on! I finished the work-out asking myself, "Can you do that for another 70 minutes?" Haha... I am always such a numbers person! I can entertain myself for entire runs by just calculating my splits, predicting splits if I speed up and/or slow down, trying to figure out PR's and what not. I guess it's not really a bad thing.

So, last work-out, DONE! Just a couple more easy runs to go. And now I'm icing my knee and reading my new magazines. 


Corn is the perfect ice pack.


Life is good.


---


In other news, my school district is competing in the Glee Give a Note contest to raise funds for our music programs! Lima is the town that Glee is set in, and so it would be awesome if we could win this contest. Our district has seen a lot of cuts in the past year, and are anticipating lots more to come, so if you could click over and vote for us, that would be oh-so-wonderful!


Our Arts Magnet Elementary/Middle School created the submission video which you can see here:


http://www.gleegiveanote.com/vote_details.php?id=209


You can vote once a day, until November 7! It's super easy to vote, just click the link and then click Vote. Thanks so much!

Comments

Unknown said…
I would love to go to a Taste of Home cooking class. I love Taste of Home!

And voting - done!
Have Your Way said…
I voted :)

Lima is a sweet town!! I have been there many times!!!

Wow that is sweet you used spaghetti noodles for math. Way to be creative :)
Sara said…
Thanks guys for the votes!! :)
Cool class! I am totally going to go vote! Keep reminding us and I'll be all over it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);