Skip to main content

Sometimes I can be an idiot...

Yesterday was definitely a Monday.

After a fun weekend with friends, I started my week off on a high note. 

School went well. (My students enjoyed tolerated an activity I thought they would hate.)

I had a rockin' treadmill run while watching Friends. (7 miles at 8:00 pace, boo ya. First run since the half where I felt like I had my legs back.)

And then the senselessness began.

First of all, let me tell you a little tidbit about my car. The gas gauge does not really work. It will work effectively until I have less than half a tank of gas left, and then it sweeps from empty to full with no rhyme or reason. So I never really know how much gas I have in my tank. (I bet you can see where this is going.)

My solution? Set my trip-o-meter every time I fill up. Typically I can get anywhere from 330 to 350 miles on a tank of gas.

Yesterday I was at 308 miles, so I thought I was doing just fine. I was driving home from the gym about 5:00. I needed to be showered and presentable to go to a political dinner with my Business Man at 5:30. 

I was about a mile from home, and glug, glug, glug. Crap. My car started slowing down. I guess this is what it's like to run out of gas. Fortunately I was able to make it to the next side street and park it on the side of the road.

I tried calling my Business Man so he could come save me. No answer.

So I grabbed my keys and phone and started sprinting the mile home. (Thus turning my 7-miler into an 8-miler.)

I got home at 5:07pm and proceeded to get ready at lightning speed. Surprisingly, I got ready just in time. We left for our dinner, and decided to deal with the car situation afterwards.

We enjoyed a nice dinner with our friends John & Amber, and also got to hear Governor Kasich speak. I wanted to ask him why he wasn't standing outside the Governor's mansion in Columbus cheering on marathon and half-marathon runners last weekend, hehe.

All dolled up on a Monday night.
So, after the dinner, it was time to take care of the car. We stopped by the house and picked up our gas can. (It's normally used for the lawnmower.) We filled it up with gas, and took it back to the car.


Too bad the spout wasn't long enough to actually get the gas inside the gas tank. Sigh.

Off to Wal-mart we went, for the longest funnel we could find. We made it back to the car and got the gas inside. Then it was off to the gas station to fill-er-up.

By this point, I was a bit frustrated and exhausted. It was about 8:45pm, and it'd been a long night. So I decided a blizzard would cheer me up. A pumpkin pie blizzard to be exact.

So after filling up with gas, I headed over to the Dairy Queen nearest us. For some reason it wasn't open! They are supposed to be open until 9pm.

So I called the other Dairy Queen across town, and asked what time they closed. 9pm. So I booked it over there and got there at 8:58, YES! 

Except they had locked the door. Needless to say, I went home and went to bed. It was just not my night.

---

In other news, let's talk about this Spiced Apple Cream Cheese Danish Bread that I made this weekend!


This was my first attempt ever at a flaky, buttery pastry. It's been on my baking bucket list for awhile, along with croissants, homemade marshmallows, sourdough bread, and a few other things.

With this particular recipe, you make up a dough, and then a butter square. You actually wrap up the butter square with the dough, and roll it out so the butter kind of blends throughout the entire dough. Of course with hours of refrigeration in between. It's best to make this a day ahead. (Or even three days ahead... I prepared the dough Thursday to be baked Sunday. It turned out just fine.)

When it's ready to bake, it's filled with a sweetened cream cheese and topped with cinnamon-spiced apples. 

After baking, it's drizzled with a sweet vanilla glaze. Yum!


Visit Annie's Eats for the full tutorial! She rocks. I'm already wanting to make another one, maybe with a pumpkin cream cheese filling?!

And on one last random note, my Tastefully Simple order arrived! Thanks to everyone who helped me meet my party goals... I got to bring home a TON of stuff for a very low price.

Some of this will be Christmas gifts.
These are my favorites that I am most excited about:

This was so good. It's mixed with cream cheese and Swiss cheese and then baked until bubbly. 
And this drink. Might I say it's even better than hot chocolate?
That's all folks... hope your weeks are going great!

P.S. It's October 25... which means only 2 months until Christmas!! Wheeeeee!

Comments

Have Your Way said…
OOPS!!! My car has a little gas light that comes on when it is low, but I have only ever seen it like 3 times since I have had this car. I am so anal about my car being under a 1/4 tank of gas.

Your outfit looks SUPER cute!!

Your pastry looks heavenly!!!
Have Your Way said…
How in the world do you run in the winter?! You may have to teach me your ways Sara!!! Also, I dont live that far from you ;)
Alissa said…
This morning it was 35 degrees at 8am. I got to walk 30 minutes to school. I had four layers on so I started sweating, but the tip of my nose was FREEZING. I may have left with semi wet hair too. I kept thinking, "Why did we leave our car in America!?!?!" I was not having an attitude of gratitude. Then I read this, and thought, "Thank you Lord that I do not ever have to buy gas or worry about running out of gas." (p.s. gas is 6 dollars a gallon here) hahahaha. Anywho, you are awesome for running this soon after your half. AND if you want to send any of that Tastefully Simple stuff our way for Christmas we would gladly accept :) Except not the soup that needs cream cheese, because we pay somewhere around 5 dollars for 8 oz of cream cheese. I think next time I should email you instead of leaving a mile long comment on your blog. Hope your tomorrow is better than your Monday.

AND your dress is SO cute! Let's go shopping next time we are together? Okay? Kbye!
aevansb said…
The Apple Cream Cheese Danish Bread was seriously delish! I went back for seconds. OK, thirds.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);