Skip to main content

Homemade Oreos for Halloween

Last week was a busy week at school. Thursday marked the end of the 1st quarter, and we administered OGT's (the Ohio Graduation Test) all week to the juniors and seniors who hadn't passed them yet. Busy busy.


So, since tomorrow is Halloween, I thought I'd bake my kidd-o's a little something special. And perhaps I wanted an excuse to spend the afternoon in the kitchen, as well. (While I let my Business Man take care of all the yard work outside. Thanks hon!)


I wanted to make something Halloween-themed, but not too complicated since I was going to be making a lot. I remembered some Homemade Oreos that I made back when I was in high school, and thought they'd be perfect, especially if I colored the filling orange for Halloween. 

Aren't these little cupcake toppers so cute? Definitely not going to school though...
These aren't exactly like Oreos - the cookies are more soft than crunchy. But I don't think you can go wrong with a sweet vanilla filling sandwiched by two rich, chocolatey cookies.




I'm sure my students will gobble them up. I could bring in pretty much anything edible and it would get eaten, haha.

Homemade Oreos


  • For the cookies
    • 1 box chocolate cake mix
    • 2 eggs
    • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • For the filling
    • ½ cup butter, softened
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1-2 tablespoons milk
    • 3 cups powdered sugar

Method

Preheat the oven to 350*F. Combine all cookie ingredients and mix until combined. Roll into 3/4-inch balls and place on greased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly. Bake 8 to 9 minutes until edges are set.

Let cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

To prepare filling, beat butter and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually add milk and powdered sugar, until light and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar if necessary to reach the desired consistency.

To assemble cookies, spread about a tablespoonful of filling onto a cookie, and top with another cookie.


---

In other news, I headed out for a 'long run' with my running group, with the intent to get in 8 miles or so.


Ended up with 12.5 miles! Whoops. I got a bit distracted and realized we'd already run 8 miles when we were still a good 3-4 miles from where we started. 

Oh well! Gotta love runs like that.

Have a great week everyone!

Comments

Have Your Way said…
YUM!! Wish I was a student in your class!!! Haha

Great job on your run!! I didnt run today(migraine, felt like crap all day)

Have a great week at school!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);