Skip to main content

Columbus Half Marathon 2011

Hey guys! First of all, thanks for all the well wishes and good luck's toward my half this morning! It definitely boosted me up big time.




Let's rewind back to yesterday...


My Business Man and I headed down to Columbus in the late afternoon, and picked up my race packet at the expo. Nothing too exciting to report there. We checked into our hotel and headed off to find dinner.


Fortunately for us, our hotel was literally minutes away from one of my most favorite places in the state of Ohio - Easton Town Center. Yes. 


We ended up dining at California Pizza Kitchen for some delicious carbs. I ordered the BBQ Chicken Pizza (the same thing my Business Man wanted), but I made him order something else. Because who orders the same exact dish as their dining companion? So he ordered the Hawaiian Barbecue Chicken Pizza. (Same exact thing plus pineapple.) Haha. We are two of a kind.


Yummy pizza.
We skipped over the shops (for the time being, no worries, we came back later) and headed back to the hotel around 8pm to tuck in for the evening.


But not without eating cookies in bed. Carb loading to the max.


That was a salted caramel chocolate chip cookie. Delicious. I need to re-create it.
The alarm clock went off bright and early at 5:30am this morning for a 7:30am race start. Which is somewhat funny because that is the normal time the alarm goes off for a run before school. So no big deal. (Well, for me. My Business Man? Probably a different story. He was great though! Positive and excited all day long.)


I ate my breakfast of champions. (Once again, in bed. I see a theme here.)


Only drank half the coffee. I'm not that crazy.
And got suited up.


No I did not race in those flannels. They were my 'throw-away' pants. That I left in the car because it wasn't even cold at all at the start.
Around 6:15am we left for the race, which was an 8-10 minute drive away. Traffic was perfect until we got to the exit ramp. Cars were backed up for probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile on the exit ramp! It was crazy. 


By 6:50am, we were at least off the ramp. (Just barely.) I didn't know how to get to the start, but when I saw another woman jump out of her vehicle and start running, I got out and followed her.


We made it to the start corrals and it was mass chaos. People everywhere! When we got there, I was near Corral E and needed to get up to Corral A. Yikes.


People climbing over fences! 
Glad I didn't have to do that.
I wormed my way through and got to Corral A without about 15 minutes to spare. Did a few leg swings and got in place!


So many people!
And here's where I made the best decision of the entire race - I ran with a pace team. I had never done that before, and it made this race fantastic. 


I lined up with the 3:05 pace team, which would put me at a 1:32:30 half. (The half stayed with the full pretty much the entire race, except for the last 0.1.)




And then the race began. The weather was perfect - 45*F, a little bit of wind. Nothing crazy.


The first several miles flew by. I just stayed with the pace group, and didn't have to think at all! We were maintaining a good 7:02-3 average pace. It didn't feel super easy, but it definitely felt do-able.


I went through the 10km in 43:36, a 7:02 pace. I tried to eat some sport beans around miles 6 & 9, but I just do not like eating while running. I can't stomach it. The gels are even worse. I only got down about half the pack. 


We kept truckin' along, and the miles went by so fast! I started to get fatigued around mile 9, but it wasn't too terrible... I knew the pain would come at some point, and I was ready to deal with it. Besides, you can do anything for 30 minutes. (Or so I told myself.) 


Once we got to mile 11, and I could see that I had less than 15 minutes to go, I decided I'd try to pick it up the last 2 miles, and leave the pace group.


And pick it up I did! I averaged 6:44 pace for my last two miles. I sprinted in to the finish, and hoped for a sub-7:00 pace.


Official time: 1:31:26, 6:59 avg <--- 4.5 minute PR!
Overall place: 230/9929
Gender place: 31/6188
Age group place: 9/881


As you can guess, I am over-the-moon excited! I hit my A goal (just barely), and am so happy. This runner's high will last me several days, if not weeks, I'm sure...


So happy! And cuddled up with my space blanket.
Sadly, my Business Man missed my finish! There were so many people out on the course (17,000+) and my choice of black top with black shorts was not the wisest for standing out.


As for the Columbus Marathon/Half-Marathon, it was an awesome event. Well-organized, TONS of supports on the course, music every 1/2 mile. I absolute loved it, and would recommend it to anyone. The shirts are pretty sweet, too.


Love the blue.
So that's that! Next task... take a few weeks easy, let my knee heal up (and work on some hip strengthening), and decide on a spring marathon! Whooie!

Comments

Amazing job! I can't believe that pace! And that is a serious PR, nearly 5 minutes. Congrats!!!
Talen said…
Great Job "Fanny Flannel!" :P
Holy fast pace girl!! WOW! I aspire to be speedy like you one day. Great medal and tee!!
Sara said…
@Vanessa - thanks!!

@Talen - yes.... haha. I tried to figure out how to put in a reference to that but did not have the wits tonight. :)

@Jess & Have Your Way - thanks!! :)
aevansb said…
Wow, congrats. Now you'll be ready for the big Chicago marathon next year! :-)

and, THANK YOU, for echoing my exact thoughts about people ordering the same thing when you go out to eat. It's just not done!
kimi said…
congrats! it was a beautiful day we had!
Ah! So happy and excited for you! What an awesome race, and I love that you went for it at the end and totally hit your goal. It always feels so good to sprint to the finish.

I also chuckled when I read that part where you said you can do anything for 30 minutes. It's kind of a saying Jess and I have as well for running. It helps when we are not in the mood to finish miles or do a second run, etc. :)

So stoked for you! Can't wait to hear what's next!
Anonymous said…
[p]This can be done by cleaning the brush thoroughly every time after use with antiseptic soaps and hot water to rid bacteria and impurities that had previously been removed from the skin . I think this stuff do not use every day, the beginning I attached few days a week really think that this is the "artifact" a clean, very clean, but also puts some closed to force out the teeth the very closed squeeze past brush nearly a week, the signs of a "volcanic eruption" actually began redness, then I will continue to brush the fight so he erupted one-time to get rid of more than a week's time he emerge, then red, then there is the kind of thing white, should be fat particles, I brush after extrusion very easy to find, and then a small closed followed by smoke , a result later disposable feel out two stubborn silence, my forehead a closed place, a little big, used now find smaller, it is estimated to use the month will be reminders come out . Clarisonic is also recommended for teenagers . Light enough, in fact, to make your co-workers think that you paid for a skin job . They represent an answer to the call of environmentalists [url=http://www.outletclarisonic.com]clarisonic mia[/url] to be responsible citizens and partakers of the kindness of Mother Nature . The following is a the Clarisonic wash brush as claimed by the
Features隆拢
Can go dead skin, clean pores, pores look smaller, reducing the skin out of fuel, reducing the dry dead skin and reduce acne
2 . A lot of us experience skin area trouble that include blackheads which you'll find very hard to make sure you address.[/p][p]These [url=http://www.outletclarisonic.com]clarisonic mia 2[/url] Suncamp . If you are frustrated of your oil or dry skin, simply using Clarisonic Mia 2 will solve your skin problems . All the Clarisonic Mia clarisonic plus frees " up " earth and additionally lube quickly yet still smoothly, and additionally quite washes the epidermis pores and skin pores . But more problematic is [url=http://www.outletclarisonic.com]clarisonic brush[/url] that it needs to use its own clean cotton . AND [url=http://www.outletclarisonic.com]clarisonic mia outlet[/url] OH BOY DO I HAVE SOME OPINIONS FOR YOU . It is six times more than the cleanser and makeup remover cleaning effect, and even together with clean water, can also be cleansed face makeup . The Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System was introduced in 2004, and since its arrival it has completely transformed how we do [url=http://www.outletclarisonic.com]clarisonic mia 2 sale[/url] skin care.[/p]

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);