Skip to main content

Pumpkins in Vegas

As you're reading this, I should be on a plane to Vegas to join my sweet Business Man there. I may or may not be just a bit nervous about the whole flying on a plane, laying over, flying on another plane, and then catching a shuttle bus to the hotel thing. I'm sure I will survive. I'll pop in with at least a picture to celebrate my arrival. ;-)


---


Well, it is Thursday, which means it's time for another pumpkin recipe. You sick of these yet? I hope not... because it's still a good long while 'til Thanksgiving. (Not that I'm counting or anything. Thanksgiving is just our next big 'break' at school. Only 39 school days away! Haha.)






Sundays are "fun breakfast" day in our house. Basically, the only day of the week I actually make something for breakfast. (Other than pouring a bowl of cereal or some good ole' maple & brown sugar instant oats.) It usually goes down like this: I go for a run, rush through the end of my run in fear of not having time to bake before church, come into house and immediately start baking in my running clothes. Case in point:


Flour splattered all over running clothes. Typical.
If it's not obvious that my favorite breakfast treats are scones, I'll just tell you now. My favorite breakfast treats are scones. Given a choice between a muffin, donut, sweet roll, or scone, I'll always choose the scone. (As long as it's not old & dried out. Yuck.)


So, I made pumpkin scones! I found this recipe over at Sweet Pea's Kitchen, who has a TON of awesome-looking pumpkin recipes. Which are definitely bookmarked for the weeks to come.






They're moist, light, and fluffy just as a scone should be. And coated with two glazes! A sweet vanilla glaze which is topped with a spiced glaze. That's what really put these over the top. Next time, I plan on adding some chopped pecans. And there will be a next time, for sure.



Pumpkin Scones


  • For the scones
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • ½ cup packed brown sugar
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
    • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
    • 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
    • ½ cup canned pumpkin
    • 3 tablespoons half-and-half
    • 1 large egg
  • For the powdered sugar glaze
    • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
    • 2 tablespoons milk
  • For the spiced glaze
    • 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
    • 2 tablespoons milk
    • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1 pinch ground cloves
    • 1 pinch ground ginger

Method

Preheat oven to 425*F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment.

In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. Add the butter pieces and cut in using your fingers or two knives until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no large than small pieces.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half-and-half, and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and form the dough into a ball. Pat the dough out onto a lightly floured surface into a circle about 1-inch thick. Using a knife, cut into 8 equal wedges. Place wedges onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes until light brown.

Meanwhile, prepare glazes. For powdered sugar glaze, mix the powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. For spiced glaze, combine all ingredients until smooth.

When scones are cool, drizzle with powdered sugar glaze. Let sit for a few minutes to firm up. Then, drizzle with spiced glaze. Enjoy!

Source: slightly adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen




Comments

This looks incredible!!! I know this might shock you, but I've never had a scone. Sad? I'll have to make these and change that. :)

I hope the flight, layover, flight, and bus to the hotel in Vegas went well... and mostly I hope you and the Business Man have an awesome weekend!!!
Scones are my favorite bakery treat, and these look delicious!
Michelle Ha said…
these are amazing. i only wish i had had this recipe my entire life.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);