Skip to main content

Pumpkin Thursday, woo hoo!

I really need to come up with a good name for this series of pumpkin recipes. Last week I called it "Pumpkin Power Thursday"... so lame. This week, just "Pumpkin Thursday." Where oh where are all my creative juices? There's just no good descriptive word that starts with a P! Precious pumpkin? Pitiful pumpkin? Plentiful pumpkin? If you can thing of anything, help a girl out.


Anyways, this week's pumpkin recipe is a wonderful breakfast recipe. It just so happens that tomorrow is my "donut day" for the year at work. Every Friday, one of the teachers brings in donuts/bagels/some sort of breakfast for everyone to enjoy. Makes Friday a little extra special. (Aside from the fact that it's the last day before 2 entire days of freedom from whining teenagers! But I do love those kids, I really do.)


Night time pictures = no natural lighting! Boo for dark pictures.
Since I've had pumpkin on the brain, I thought I'd do some pumpkin baking for "donut day". In the form of pumpkin cinnamon rolls. I first saw a picture of pumpkin cinnamon rolls on Pinterest a few weeks ago and I can not get the idea out of my head. (I've found so many good pumpkin ideas on Pinterest - pumpkin pie french toast, baked pumpkin donuts, pumpkin cornbread, pumpkin-walnut focaccia bread... there's not enough weeks in the fall season!)





These cinnamon rolls are delicious...light and fluffy with just a hint of pumpkin spice flavor. (I might have taste-tested one tonight with my Business Man.) He's pretty much a cinnamon roll purist, and I wasn't sure if he'd like the fact that I messed with something that was already pretty much perfect. But he was totally on board!






And yes, these rolls are definitely orange! I topped them with a simple powdered sugar frosting... but I think a cream cheese frosting would be fabulous as well.


And no worries... I made a pan of regular cinnamon rolls for the non-adventurous peeps that might happen to work at my school.


I baked a few of the extras in a little loaf pan. Can you guess which one is the pumpkin-flavored one?
Speaking of pumpkin, this weekend my Business Man & I are headed back to IL to visit our families. My great-aunt & uncle are celebrating their 40th anniversary with a big shindig, and I'm very excited to see some of my family who I haven't seen in several months! 


And what does this have to do with pumpkin? Well it happens to be the same weekend as the Morton Pumpkin Festival! So I will be racing the Pumpkin Classic 10km (which I ran last year with some friends) on Saturday morning, followed by either pumpkin pancakes or pumpkin donuts. With a pumpkin spice latte. I cannot wait.


Happy baking!



Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls


  • Rolls
    • 2¾ - 3¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
    • ¼ oz. active dry yeast
    • ½ cup solid-pack pumpkin
    •  cup milk
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • 1 egg
  • Filling
    • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    • ½ cup packed brown sugar
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Frosting
    • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 1-2 tablespoons milk
    •  cups powdered sugar
    • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Method

In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour and yeast; set aside.

In a saucepan, heat and stir pumpkin, milk, sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt until warm (115* - 130*F) and butter is almost melted. Add to flour/yeast mixture with egg. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; increase speed to high, and beat for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (Or use a dough hook on a Kitchen Aid for 5 minutes.) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

While dough rises, prepare filling. Melt 2 tablespoons butter; add brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until combined.

When ready, punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Roll into an 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread with filling.

Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place rolls, cut side down, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. (See note below for overnight instructions.)

Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Place pan on a wire rack. In a small bowl, beat the icing ingredients until smooth. Spread over rolls. Serve warm.




Source: Taste of Home

Comments

Mrs. W said…
Have fun in Morton this weekend! I'm from Pekin myself and have already missed our Marigold Festival and am sad to be missing the Morton's Pumpkin Festival as well. :( But we have big plans to return for Spoon River Drive and enjoy that with my folks who are still in Pekin!

~Angela
Sara said…
@Angela- Spoon River Drive is fun! Glad you'll get to enjoy it. :)
Mmmm!!! This looks awesome!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);