Skip to main content

Mile Repeats & Super Stuffed Spuds

Oh yeah, mile repeats on the schedule for today.


I didn't have any pics of me running today so here's an old picture of me stretching with a kiddie running group we led in college. I'll have to blog about that sometime. 
I've done this workout a couple times already this training cycle, but only done 3x1-mile. Today I cranked it up to 4! I brought my running clothes with me and hit the track after school this afternoon. Coincidentally right when the marching band was practicing. At least I had accountability with my students watching?


The plan was to do 4-5x1-mile with 1/2 mile jogs. I am still adjusting to the whole jog recovery thing - in college, we always had standing recovery. Jog recovery makes you tired! 


Today was a little rough, very humid and BUGGY! I didn't have my camera, but my chest was plastered with bugs. Along with a bug in my eye and a bug stuck in my teeth, which was oh-so-kindly pointed out by one of my students/cross country runners. Gross.


I hoped to hit anywhere between 6:24-6:28 with these repeats. Here's how it went down:


  • Mile 1 - 6:24
  • Mile 2 - 6:25
  • Mile 3 - 6:23
  • Mile 4 - 6:25
Pretty smooth & steady! Very consistent. But I was totally wiped after. No way was I doing a fifth one. I totaled 8 miles for the day.


When I got home, it was time to make dinner. I was hangry. The plan was to make twice-baked potatoes. But those take forever! Bake potatoes? Then bake them again? Ahhh... meet my friend the microwave.


Source
Microwave-baked potatoes in less than 10 minutes. I threw them in the microwave, hopped in the shower, and they were ready by the time I got out!

First, I scooped out the flesh and placed it in a bowl.

Naked potatoes!


Potato flesh. Appetizing.
I added plain Greek yogurt (for protein! and that yummy sour cream flavor), milk, garlic, salt & pepper. Oh and a small pat of butter. I tried mashing with my spoon, but it wasn't doing the trick, so I whipped out my secret weapon.

Why yes, I still wear track t-shirts from high school. Don't you?

Blend away for creamy & smooth mashed potatoes.


But I wasn't done yet. Now it's time for the good stuff. Bacon. Cheese.

Does anybody else microwave their bacon? So easy! And no splatters.


The good stuff.

All mixed up!
I used 3 slices of crumbled bacon and about 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese. I saved a bit to sprinkle over the top, too.


Re-fill your naked potatoes, top with more cheese & bacon, and bake at 425*F about 12-15 minutes until roasty toasty!


This meal was delicious. Crispy & smooth and cheesy. Very cheesy. Not good for the lactose-sensitive people. The only thing missing was a big ole' steak. But my Business Man didn't complain.

It was a gorgeous night and we ate outside. Halfway through the meal my Business Man got up and found this weird nut looking thing and threw it toward me. It landed right by my feet.

Will you soothe my aching feet?
And that's when I realized it would be perfect for rolling out my arches. 

Why certainly!
And that, my friends, is why I'm weird. Using unknown round nut-thingies found in the yard to roll out my arches. Perhaps I should invest in a tennis ball.


Comments

Haha, I would have used that for my feet too, definitely! Great times for those repeats--jogging recovery is TOUGH!
:)
Nice repeats!!! I seriously love mile reapeats. Great pace and perfect consistency! I think 4x1 mile is the most I've ever done... 5 would be tough!

Those potatoes look awesome! We microwave our bacon, too! I mean, I microwave it for Jason... I'm not a bacon fan... Not at all. Cheese and potatoes though... Yeah, I'm all over that!
Whoa, those potatoes are looking pretty tasty! And easy...must steal recipe...

Your workout rocked! I love when mile repeats go so consistently. They make me feel awesome! Especially considering the heat and humidity, bugs and doing such a long workout alone. Dang, girl!
Sara said…
@Jessica - How can you not like bacon?! That seems crazy.
LauraKatie said…
Thanks for following my blog Sara! That's funny that the weird nut looking thing was perfect for rolling out your arches! My favorite arch-rollers are small-medium water bottles.
I know... my husband thinks I'm a freak of nature. I think it might be a bit of a texture thing... well, and flavor.. i don't know... I'm not a big fan of ham or sausage either... So, it must just be pigs.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);