Skip to main content

Morton Pumpkin Classic 10km 2011

Despite my less than stellar dinner choices last night, this morning's race went off without a hitch!


Yes, I lined up in the "sprint" category. Not sure I was really sprinting, but I'll take it.
The weather was perfect - 50's, little to no wind. I was a little bummed by the "rain" I heard when I woke up, but turns out that was just my parents' pond. No rain. Happy day!


My mom & I headed over around 6:45am for a 7:30am start. She walked/ran the 2-mile portion of the race.


After a quick restroom trip, I got my 10 minute warm-up in, did some leg swings and was ready to go! 


Looking all sorts of awkward waiting for the race to start.
I had never really "raced" a 10km, so I wasn't sure what to expect. My friend Alissa raced the 10km in track, and she always said that first 3 miles are so so easy and then all of a sudden you feel like death. Super.


I went out with the goal of hitting 6:45-6:50 miles, shooting for sub-42:00.


That didn't really happen, but I ran super-even splits, which never happens for me. I am the queen of slowing way down. And I didn't, yay!


Here's my splits:

  • Mile 1 - 6:30, yikes, this is closer to my 5km pace! But this feels way easy. 
  • Mile 2 - 6:37, settling in, still feeling good.
  • Mile 3 - 6:40
  • Mile 4 - 6:39, man I'm really holding this pace. I'm impressed with myself.
  • Mile 5 - 6:37, starting to burn a bit.
  • Mile 6.2 - 7:50 (6:31 avg), I DID IT! And yes the last mile felt like death. But it was ok.
Total time - 40:53, 6:35 avg pace.

Look for me right under the speed limit sign. And funny story - I went to high school with the guy right in front of me; we didn't even realize we were that close to each other in the race.
Needless to say I was very happy. And the even splits! I have never run that even, and even I speeding up at the end. I was so excited.

Momma did awesome as well, sprinting to the finish.

Go, Momma, go!

So after a quick cool-down, we were ready for the real fun of the morning: the pumpkin treats! They have a super-awesome pumpkin pancake breakfast, but the line was literally about 4 blocks long. Insane. We settled for some pumpkin donuts instead.

2 dozen rings of pure delicousness. Don't worry - we picked up a dozen for my great-aunt & uncle. Not all for us.

While waiting for the awards ceremony to start, I chose quite the inopportune time to ask for a post-race pic with my Business Man.

"Come on, can't you see I just want to eat my donut in peace?"

"First you wake me up at 6:30am on a Saturday, and now this."

Finally happy and ready to smile. :)
Mom enjoyed her donut, too. With Maggie's hawkeyes staring her down.


"Can't you just perhaps, drop it?"

And of course I got in on the action, too. So good!


Once our bellies were full, it was time for the awards ceremony. Turns out I was 3rd female overall, and 2nd in my age group (20-34) and won $20! Woot woot. Now if only Nike would come sign me for a contract, I'd really be rolling in the dough.

Next on the hunt was some pumpkin coffee, or even better, a PSL. We headed to the downtown coffee shop with high hopes.

YES!
But the line was forever long. So we moseyed over to our next stop of the morning, Great Harvest Bread Co.




We picked up some bread & sweet treats, and there went my $20 racing prize. But so worth it!



And, they had a little coffee shop inside, and were serving PSL's! Double win.



And a quick stop at the local farm for some pumpkins, we came back to my parents'. 


New fashion look? 



Pumpkins, pumpkins, pumpkins!



After a visit with my great-aunt & uncle this morning, and my Business Man's family this afternoon, we're off to a 40th anniversary celebration tonight! Busy, busy, but so good to see everyone! :)

Comments

Alissa said…
It's all about the tempo runs! Once you can do tempo runs, you can race 10ks (that is my theory at least). I am so jealous of all this pumpkin (and the weather!). We don't have PSL in Korea, we have SPL (sweet potato latte)hahahaha I should blog about that.
Congrats on a great race, and yay for the $20 prize. I would spend it all on tasty treats too, ha!
:)
Sara said…
@Alissa - Yes! I finally can see that. This year has definitely been my year to 'get' tempo runs. Sweet potato lattes?? That's nutso!

@Vanessa - thanks! you know it!
I am so jealous of all this pumpikin/fall goodness! The local race, the pumpkin donuts, Great Harvest, the pumpkin patch. What a fun day!

And super congrats on running such even splits, especially the last mile, and for placing 3rd! That's awesome! That age category is huge (20-34? That's like...all the really fast people age category, so that's even more that awesome you were 3rd!)

I'm enjoying the season of fall vicariously through you. No fall in the Caribbean. I know, I have no grounds to complain :)
Sara said…
@Cecily - Thank you! I know the age category is ridiculous. This is the second year they've done cash prizes for age group winners so I think they expanded them to be huge. I think they're trying to attract more runners; this year there was about 1200.
Yea!!! What a great race! And dang, great pace! $20 bucks!!! You're pro! :)
I want some donuts now...
omg you are FAST!!
This was the first year in three years I didn't run:( Wish we could have met up if I did...though there's no way I could have kept up with you! ;)
Sara said…
@Paige - Thank you! Maybe next year? It's likely I will be back... I am racing the Folepi 4-mile in East Peoria which is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It's a point-to-point ALL DOWNHILL so it's always fun & fast. You should check it out!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);