Skip to main content

Cheers to the freakin' weekend...

Or cheers to the freak of a person who thought the best way to kick off her weekend was to run her 14-mile long run after school. On the treadmill. 


I actually quite enjoyed it. Haven't run on the treadmill and watched TV for a long time. Also I had a few secrets up my sleeve for a great run.


SUGAR! In the form of cupcakes and jelly beans.


I made cupcakes for one of my geometry classes because they earned a certain class average on their first unit test last week, and I definitely indulged with them this afternoon. 


There is a chunk of cookie dough in the middle.
I also had some sport beans on the run because I really need to practice taking in fuel. I pretty much never eat/drink anything on runs 2 hours or less. Which is not good. Because I feel should probably have something during this half-marathon since I'm gunning for a PR and all. 



So I tried out the sport beans today. They were fine. I forgot my water bottle so I had to choke them down, but they sure tasted good. I think one pack will fit in my little shorts pocket just perfectly.


After my run, I rushed home because it's Friday night! I had a hot date with my Business Man. We ended up with dinner at Panera and then to the mall to use up some coupons. Because you always save money when you shop with coupons.


The post-run/didn't do anything to myself except wash the stink-off look.

Thanks to grandma for the free panty coupon at Vicky's. I only had to encounter one student's awkward stares as I walked through the mall with this bag.




And we might have also ended up at Dairy Queen. Who, me? Two desserts in one day? Ain't no thang. 


Pumpkin pie blizzard. The only blizzard I will eat with vanilla ice cream. Which meant we actually went to the Dairy Queen closest to our house (that doesn't serve chocolate ice cream).
Question: What do you take for long run fuel? Any long runs/races this weekend?

Comments

Chelsea Smith said…
I quite enjoy your blog Sara! :)
I admire your recipes, but haven't gotten around to making one yet!
I had to ask, why in the world does DQ not serve chocolate ice cream? So strange. I don't really like chocolate ice cream, but really? LOL.
Sara said…
@Chelsea - Thank you! I have no idea why they don't serve chocolate ice cream. It's at the one DQ here in Lima and I was practically dumbfounded the first time we went and there was no chocolate ice cream. Haha.
Mmm... this was a good post for food... I want everything pictured! Cookie dough down in the middle of the cupcakes?! Wow, that is brilliant! I want that recipe... is it in your archives? I'm gonna have to stalk you some more... :)

14 miles on the tread?! You crazy (but awesome) girl. I guess when you get to watch tv that makes it a little better. Way to go, though!!!

I Love vs panties! Haha... I bet that would be so awkward to run into a student there! Yikes.

I often find myself still in running attire (or at least with unwashed running hair) on our HOT dates. And not ever pulling it off all cute like you do.
Alissa said…
I love GU energy gels for long runs, but I only eat the chocolate - yum-o. Potentially a little bit messy, but it is worth it in my opinion. I ran 13 outside this weekend. It was a glorious run. I ran through some construction and I am pretty sure I was not supposed to. The nice Korean construction worker was cheering me on right? (Or telling me to go a different way maybe)
I SO wish I could come to Beantown and share in your DQ experiences :)
Sara said…
@Jessica - I haven't blogged that recipe yet! I should soon. I need to get some good pics.

@Alissa - I do too! I have no one to use my BOGO coupons with! My silly husband is not an ice cream afficionado like myself.
Anonymous said…
This is Kristin T. but for some reason I can't use my google name. Anyway, Sara, I have to admit, I really enjoy your blog. It is super fun, and I like to hear about your life as a teacher, as well as keep up with your running! I wanted to respond because I have been thinking about running fuel a lot lately. I've gotten into trail runs over the last year, and since elevation gain makes any distance take so much longer, food has become a real issue. You need to take in between 100-200 cal/hour. It's really hard for me, because, like you, I almost never eat while running besides a pretzel or two. I have experimented with real food because its what I prefer (I used to carry baby food squeeze packets- super fun flavors), but then I realized that GU is so many more calories (1oo in a squeeze packet)with just the right combo of nutrients and no fiber. Can't really go wrong, although I stick to fruity during a race since chocolate tends to make my stomach churn. But my friend just recommended sunflower seeds to me, choc covered, and I am excited to try. 50k this weekend for me!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);