Skip to main content

Let the Carb-Loading Begin... [Penne Pasta with Peas & Bacon]

Why carb-loading, you ask? Besides the fact that I'm pretty much always carb-loading.





I start training for a marathon #2 tomorrow! Yes, I am going after a second marathon, even after the not-so-great experience with the Flying Pig. (Hitting the wall at mile 17 is never fun. Especially when you're soaking wet.)

I'm in the pink.
I will be running the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon on Saturday, April 28 in Champagin-Urbana, IL. It is supposedly a "fast & flat" course, which will be so nice after the hills of Cincinnati last year. Plus, I get to finish on the U of I Memorial Stadium!


It's just 1.5 hours from my parents' house, so I'll be able to coerce them into coming to cheer me on as well. I'm also trying to convince my BFF Talen to come out and run the half (or the full!) so we can reminisce our time spent in hotels the night before big cross country & track meets. And you know, just spend some QT together. 


I've put together a 16-week training plan that tops out at about 55 miles, with a long run and one speed workout each week. I'll be doing 5-6 mile tempo runs, mile repeats, 800's, and maybe even some pyramid workouts. If I'm feeling rested enough, I might even throw an extra fartlek, hill, or marathon-pace run into the week, we'll just see. I don't want to get burnt out.


Marathon training is going to go way better this time around than last spring, because I actually have people to train with! I get very mentally intimidated with the LONG runs (over 15 miles) and having a training buddy will help a lot. I know my legs can do it; it's just that I get myself down in my head.


So get ready for some Weekly Run-down recaps again!

In honor of the start marathon training, I thought I'd share my absolute favorite pasta recipe. Hands-down favorite in the whole wide world. That's saying a lot.





My mom has been making this recipe as long as I can remember; I think she got it from the local newspaper way back in the day. I can still remember one time my freshman year of college, my mom came to visit and made this in the dorm for me & all my friends. A homemade meal never tasted so good. I've since made it for friends countless times.





Penne pasta with peas, onion, & crisp bacon. It doesn't have a thick sauce - just a mixture of milk, garlic, & Parmesan cheese. It lightly coats the penne and is perfectly delicious. 


Perfect for carb-loading, if you ask me.
[Click to PRINT]

Penne Pasta with Peas and Bacon


  • 1 lb. penne pasta
  • 1 lb. bacon, chopped
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1 small package frozen peas
  •  cup water
  • 1 cup milk
  •  cup Parmesan cheese

Method

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente.

Meanwhile, cook bacon in skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tbsp. fat in skillet. Add onions and garlic and cook over medium heat 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until onions are translucent.

Stir in peas and water; cover. Reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes, until peas are hot. Stir in milk; cook 1-2 minutes until heated through. Mix pasta, pea mixture, bacon, and Parmesan cheese in large bowl.

Source: Family favorite

Comments

Angie said…
The recipes looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! It looks like something I might be able to pull off! :) Good luck with your training for marathon #2!!!
Have Your Way said…
Looks YUMMY!!!

Yeah for Marathon #2!!!

I am already training for my half marathon #1
Sara said…
@Angie - let me know if you try it!

@Allie - which half marathon are you training for?
Talen said…
By far your best blog yet. My favorite recipe you have passed on to me! I could do the half, but I just don't know! Could we run it together until I finished? There is NO WAY I am training for a full on my own, haha!
Have Your Way said…
@Sara I am training for the Glass City Half that is April 22nd. It is in Toledo. I am really nervous though because I have NEVER ran a half. Right now outside I can run like 4 miles, but since I have a gym membership I am using the treadmill and I can do like 2 miles haha
Ali Mc said…
just found you through gournet runner - your recipes are amazing! and congrats on embarking on marathon number 2! I have yet to run a marathon but hope to do my first this year :D
Sara said…
@Ali Mc - welcome! I'll check out your site as well!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);