Skip to main content

What's for dinner? Stuffed Pepper Soup!

Welp, Christmas break is officially over. Today was our first day back to school, and we were lucky enough to have our very first 2-hour delay of the school year, thanks to some slippery roads. Why yes, I'll wait until 10 o'clock to go into school, thankyouverymuch.





Except too bad I didn't find out about the delay until I had already showered and gotten ready for work... but that didn't stop me from changing right back into my PJ's and planting my tush on the couch for an hour and a half. Usually I would take advantage of the extra couple hours in the morning to go for a run, but since I'd already showered and was with wet hair, I decided to wait until after school. (Running with wet hair in 20-degree temps did not sound like fun.)


So I headed to the gym after school to get in a run, and decided to do my 'speed' workout for the week. I ended up running a 4-mile tempo averaging 6:43 pace... just felt super good today! I got in just over 7 miles with warm-up & cool-down. I am getting ready to start training for marathon #2, so this was a good confidence booster before the 'official' training starts next week.


Since it has seriously gotten cold here in the Bean Town over the past few days, I thought I'd share with you one of our favorite soup recipes. Soup is so delicious in the winter... it just warms you from the inside out. It also usually provides plenty of leftovers, which is always awesome in my book.


Stuffed Pepper Soup is one of my grandma's classic recipes, and it is very similar to... drumroll please... stuffed green peppers! Imagine that.



This soup is filled with green peppers, tomatoes, rice and spicy Italian sausage. It's a little sweet, a little spicy, and perfect alongside a slice of cheesy-garlic bread. And it's mostly healthy, too! (Yes, it has Italian sausage, but only half a pound in the whole recipe.)


It's a meal superstar with servings of veggies, protein, and whole grains all in one bowl. And my Business Man loves it... so win-win! Here's the recipe. :)


[Click to PRINT]

Stuffed Pepper Soup


  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped green pepper, (about 2 whole)
  • 1 cup chopped onion, (about 1 whole)
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • ½ lb. sweet Italian sausage
  • ½ cup uncooked rice, (I use brown rice)
  • 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
  • ½ cup tomato sauce
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Method

Saute green pepper and onion in olive oil in large pot over medium heat until just tender. Add minced garlic and Italian sausage; cook until sausage is browned. Stir in rice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, oregano, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer 45 minutes, until rice is tender. Just before serving, stir in cinnamon.

Source: Family Favorite

Comments

Have Your Way said…
YAY for two hour delays...I sure hope Sandusky gets some this year, or I may consider moving BACK to Toledo haha

Which Marathon are you running next? I just started training for my first half today! Its in April. Any tips you can give me? You can email me at Alliroo12@aol.com or comment on my blog!!

BTW your soup looks to DIE for!!

<3 Allie*
fergimoto said…
That sounds so yummy, I will definitely be trying that recipe! Glad you got to ease back into school :)
Unknown said…
I tried your Stuffed Pepper Soup this evening. I used hot Italian sausage (didn't have sweet in the house) and cut back on the spices by about half to compensate. Asked my husband for a verdict and he said to keep the recipe. Thank you! BTW, we live about 25 miles to the west of you on Rt. 30 so we are almost neighbors.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);