Skip to main content

IL Marathon, Week #1

[If you're not into running, feel free to skip these training recap posts.]


Week 1 has come and gone and I am feeling good! I got in 48 miles (well, 47.6 to be exact) and felt pretty good on every run.






I have started using DailyMile because the website/company I used to use to track my training closed up shop. If you're on DailyMile, friend me here


Weekly Rundown 1.9.2012-1.15.2012
Mon - 7 miles easy
Tues - 5-mile tempo @ 6:42 avg, 8.3 miles total
Wed - Rest
Thurs - 6.7 miles easy
Fri - 15 miles LONG (last 3 @ 7:41 avg)
Sat - 5.9 recovery miles, in the snow
Sun - 4.7 miles easy
Total - 47.6 miles


This coming week I'm looking at some mile repeats as my speed workout, hopefully 4x1600m @ 6:25 with 800m jog recovery. We'll see how that goes! Also hoping to get in 50 miles for the week.


I actually already completed my long run for this week this morning, 16.5 miles. I know it's not the greatest thing to run long Friday and then run long again on Monday, but we will be out of town this weekend and with today being a day off school I figured it was the easiest just to get it in. It's nice to have it out of the way!


Other exciting news of the weekend...


We spent some time in TJ Maxx on Saturday and put some finishing touches on the kitchen and the living room.


First up - the kitchen. Ever since we moved in (8 months ago), we have had these hideous blue plaid curtains up on the window over the kitchen sink. They don't really go with the whole cutesy green cupcake theme I've got going on. At all. And they were probably 30 years old, full of nastiness. I don't have a pic but they looked similar to these:

Might be alright for a country-style home... but that's not really what we're going for here.
Anyway, at TJ Maxx, I found these super cute dish towels, in the right colors. (For only $6!) So we now have dish towels as a curtain valance. I had planned on using fabric tape to make them more curtain-like, but they worked just fine hanging over the curtain rod. It looks so much better.
Bad lighting, but they are very cute!
Second - the fireplace mantle. We didn't really have any decorations on the mantle before Christmas, but after we took down the Christmas garland it looked very bare. Again, TJ Maxx to the rescue. We found these silver urns for just $10 each. Paired with some fake berries we already had - beautiful fireplace! (Just don't ask whose ashes are in the urns... bwahaha...)





Third - new rug! Thanks to my Business Man for asking for only Lowe's gift cards for Christmas, we got this awesome new rug for our living room. I'm sure he might have been a tad bitter that I didn't ask for any 'grown-up' presents for the house to help contribute, but a girl needs some new running clothes!





Anyways, it super nice to have a soft surface to lay down and stretch or foam roll my legs out. It also keeps the room warmer in these cold winter months.


That's all folks! I'm off to enjoy my last day of freedom before heading back to work tomorrow... got a busy week ahead!

Comments

Have Your Way said…
Love the new items in your house!!!!

Great miles for the week!!!

Have a good 4 day week with your students! :)
Jess said…
Your house is so cute!! I'm totally jealous! :)

And great mileage! I'm actually pretty jealous of that, too... haha. You're going to do awesome in your marathon!!
Anonymous said…
Good luck with your marathon! I ran one last November for the first time. I loved it...definitely won't be my last! :)
Sara said…
@Ali - thanks! it will be a quick week, that's for sure!

@Jess - thanks! I'm pretty excited too... just gotta keep the excitement going for the next 15 weeks, haha.

@Christina - thank you! I ran my first last May and it honestly wasn't the best experience so I'm hoping for a better experience with round #2.
Ali Mc said…
I think your house new additions look marvelous! and your training is insane!!!!!! great miles :) that's double what I run in a week :D

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);