Skip to main content

Working the "Run"way

As I'm gearing up for this marathon on May 1st (just 7.5 weeks away!), I've been thinking a lot about running lately. Duh. 


When I was folding laundry a few days ago, I started to chuckle at the amount of running clothes that I possess. So I thought, "Hey, maybe it'd be neat to do a post or two about running clothes..."


Now, don't get all excited, this will not become a fashion blog. At all. Not because I don't like fashion blogs. (This one's one of my favs!) 


But, it's hard to give fashion advice when you are the one who should be receiving it. Don't get me wrong, I can dress cute if I want to. I even got my first pair of skinny jeans last September. (I didn't work up the courage to wear them until about December, but that's a whole different story. Now, I love 'em!)


But, most of the time I'm just not motivated to dress well. I don't know if it's because I "dress up" every day for work, or I'm just lazy, but I'd rather lounge around in yoga pants and an old sweatshirt all day. (Now don't assume because I wear yoga pants that I am an active participant in the sport. I've only tried it about once and quit due to the fact that my abs were screaming at me. But I've heard it is good for runners. Maybe I'll attempt it again someday.)


Anyways, today I decided to focus on my favorite part of my running wardrobe: the SHORTS! Over the years, my choice in running shorts has come a long way.


When I started running when in high school, I wore a lot of these:


Imagine "CHEER" plastered across the tushie... cute, right?



I was also a cheerleader for two years in high school, and practically lived in these shorts. We had probably a half dozen matching pairs across our squad. With "CHEER" written on the butt, I thought I was hot stuff.


So, naturally, when I started running, I ran in the shorts I already had. Which just happened to be cotton, elastic-waisted Soffe shorts. 


Now, I don't know about you, but in my opinion, cotton is awful for running. (At least for your bottom half.) It chafes, you get "chub rub", and come home with big red sores all over your thighs. (At least for me.) And, these shorts rode up like crazy! They'd end up around my belly button on every run. And I ran in them ALL THE TIME! For two years! Nutso.


Finally, when I went to college, I was introduced to "real" running shorts. It seemed like every girl on the team had a pair of black Nike tempo shorts. So naturally, wanting to fit in, I went out and bought some the first chance I could get. And then I discovered the joy that is the Nike tempo. And I've never looked back.




They are just the best shorts in the world. Here's why:

  • They're made of a Dri-FIT material that wicks away sweat and keeps you dry, no matter how sweaty you get. 
  • They have a liner on the inside so they don't ride up around your belly button. (Or if you like to run commando... not that I've ever done that...)
  • They have a teeny tiny pocket on the inside of the front. Perfect size for a key, an iPod, money, even a hotel room key.
  • They're soooooo comfy!
I pretty much live in these shorts all summer long. (Because professional clothes are so not necessary in the summer... when you're a teacher. :-P)

Here's my collection... one for every day of the week!

To complete the rainbow, I still need a yellow and a blue pair. If anybody's wondering... I wear a size small. :-)


Great for bike rides (and runs, of course)!

Also great for jumping pictures with friends. Btw, we made those tie-dye shirts. How awesome is that? Home-made tie-dye never turns out that good.


Now, Nike tempos are great for everyday running, but what do I wear when I race? Let's look back...


Getting ready to receive the hand-off at the annual 4xFUN relay. There was one meet each year where everyone would run a 4x400m. Including the throwers. It was always super-fun. Of course I got my butt whooped by my BFF (in pic) even though I had a 75m lead on her. My legs are just not good for short speedy distances.

Shorties! College running introduced me to the wonderful little spandex bun-huggers. Who knows if they actually make you any faster, but they make you feel faster. Positive thinking, people. I may have just accidentally "inherited" a pair when I graduated. Should I break 'em out for the marathon??


Happy running to all! I've got 16 on the agenda for tomorrow, with some of the miles at "goal marathon pace"... guess I better go figure out what my "goal pace" is. Ha!

Comments

Ingel said…
Nice collection, great colours! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);