Skip to main content

TGI (almost) F!!!

Goodness, it has been a looong week. Next week is Spring Break, and all the kidd-os at school have decided to just shut down this week... ya know, cuz' we'll be on break soon! That means they shouldn't have to do any work, or keep in dress code, or bring pencils to math class, or anything of that sort. It also includes whining. Lots and lots of whining. And not just from the students.


Anyways, tomorrow marks the last day of school before break, and we even get out early! I originally was planning on doing my long run for this week tomorrow, since I'd have extra time, but figured that I'd probably want to party hard after school (aka take a long nap) rather than go run for 3 hours.

So, I decided to do my long run today. And I ran inside. On the treadmill.


Before pic... super excited to be a hamster for 3 hours.


Did I mention it is cold again in the Bean Town? I mean, it's not super-cold, but it's cold. I spent 2 hours outside with the kidd-os at track practice yesterday and froze my toes off. Literally. I was home for an hour and half afterward and my toes were still numb. That's when I decided to take a 25 minute hot shower and I finally warmed up.


So the thought of running outside today for 3 hours was not appealing. At all.


So I decided to run on the treadmill! I've done it before, so it wouldn't be too bad adding another 2 miles. And, I haven't really watched TV all week, so I told myself it would be fun to spend some time zoning out with Oprah and Friends and Rachael Ray.


And it was! I had a great run. I stopped once at 9.3 miles to use the restroom, and then again at 16.9 to refill my water bottle. And then once I got back on, it was just a 5k to go!  


I finished in 2:44:15, an 8:12 average. My last mile was under 7:30. If only I could run all my miles under 7:30 for the marathon. Ha.


After... does anyone else run in just a sports bra at the gym? I had to shed my shirt with about 3 miles to go because it was just sopping wet with sweat. It was Dis. Gus. Ting.
You want to know the secret to my successful run? A yum-licious green drink. Nope, not Gatorade.


You see, I've been trying to cut back my consumption of Diet Dew... I used to buy one at school everyday after lunch and I haven't been lately. I've been good all week!


Until today. I was totally dragging, all day long. Even my students noticed my lethargy. One student told me I looked high because I was so tired-looking. So I gave in to the evil pop machine that only costs $1 for a 20-oz. (It's a good deal!)


Sad with myself for giving in to the evil pop machine. Do you like my super-cool calculator poster in the background? Just got it yesterday!
I knew it wasn't good hydration for a long run, but I began to feel more full of energy throughout the afternoon! (Sad, I know...) So, Diet Dew for the win again.




And now... the recipe I promised you last time: BLT Mac & Cheese.






When I think of BLT's, I'm not instantly excited. Growing up, I didn't like tomatoes, so whenever my mom made BLT's for dinner, I'd have a bacon & cheese sandwich. It's funny that I didn't like tomatoes, because I poured ketchup on everything. Green beans, mac & cheese, shrimp, steak, turkey sandwiches. You name it, ketchup would be good with it.


So, I wasn't immediately excited about this recipe when I first saw it. Until I realized there was lots of cheese involved. And it could be made start to finish in less than 30 minutes.


Now, there's no lettuce in this recipe, the "L" stands for leek. I had never purchased a leek before trying this recipe. It took us awhile to find them in the produce section. It just looks like a giant green onion.


What am I supposed to do with this?!?
The cheese flavor is pretty mild, so I didn't care for the dish too much. (I like my cheese strong and stinky!) The bacon was definitely the super-star ingredient. My Business Man gobbled it up two nights in a row for dinner, so I'd consider it a success. I think next time I would saute the leek with some minced garlic before adding it to the pasta to add an extra layer of flavor.






Also, make sure you measure your water out before it boils. You don't ever drain the pasta; the sauce just cooks up with the water, so you don't want to have too much! (Not that I did that or anything...)



BLT Mac & Cheese


  • 5 cups water
  • 1 lb. bacon, diced
  • 1 cup shredded colby cheese
  • ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 4 oz. cream cheese
  • 16 oz. uncooked pasta, (penne or cavatappi)
  • ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 large leek, diced
  • 3 plum tomatoes, diced

Method

Bring 5 cups water to boil in large pot.

Meanwhile, cook bacon over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes until crisp. Remove to paper towel-lined plate.

When water is boiling, add pasta, cream cheese, grated cheeses, salt, and black pepper. Cover and simmer vigorously 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add leeks to pasta mixture and cook, uncovered, 5-7 more minutes or until pasta is cooked to desired tenderness and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.

When finished, stir in tomatoes and most of bacon. Spoon into bowls and garnish with remaining bacon.

Yummmmmmmmmmm........ bacon!

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm definitely going to try this recipe. I remember daring you to eat ketchup packets at the KC hall fish fries and also the year you got an enormous bottle of ketchup for your birthday! Oh, how your tastes have grown.
Jamie said…
That is a really long time to be on the treadmill! You are speedy!! And no, I would never ever run in just my sports bra. Those poor folks working out don't need that kind of punishment.
Running Girl said…
I'm in awe that you can get in that much time on the treadmill. You rock!
And, I always take my tshirt off if I'm running at home, but never if I'm at the gym. Too shy & things are tooo "bouncy" for general public, even with a sports bra. :-)
Anonymous said…
I was the same. I loathed tomatoes as I was growing up, and ketchup was my weapon of choice on food. But now I adore tomatoes. I guess my tastes matured.  ãƒ„

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);