Skip to main content

Anybody wanna Yass-O?

First of all, I want to say "Hello and welcome!" to anyone coming over from SkinnyRunner's site! Thanks for checking out my lil' blog!


And, SR said I'm from Boston, the Beantown. Not exactly... I'm from a small town in Ohio named after a bean, hence the "Bean Town". 


Here are a few links to some of my race recaps, if you're interested. :-)


BBO 4-Mile (3/12/2011)
Indianapolis Monumental Half-Marathon (11/6/2010)
Run Clark Lake (8/7/2010)



As I've just got 6 weeks to go until the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon... I decided I'd better pick up the slack on my speed workouts. I started out the training cycle super-strong, with a tempo workout and interval workout each week. That slowly faded to just a tempo run, and then now, just easy runs. Not cool.





Source


So yesterday I decided to give Yasso 800's a try. The idea of the workout is that you take your goal marathon time and run it as an 800m interval. Then a 400m jog recovery. Repeat times 10. Yikes.


Using my "Marathon Pace" from this workout, I decided to do my Yasso's with a goal time of 3:20. According to the workout, if I can run 10x800m @ 3:20, then I should be able to run a 3:20 marathon. Riiiight.


I decided to just do 6 for my first try, and build up to 10 in the upcoming weeks.


I had to help out with track practice yesterday afternoon, so I decided to do my workout while the kiddies did theirs. I actually ended up running with the high school guys on a few of the reps which was fun!


Here's my splits:


3:17-- Well, I didn't quite hit 3:20. But close enough.


3:15-- Okay, not getting closer. I guess it's better to be fast than slow? But what if I can't hold this pace?


3:18-- Getting tired but the third rep's always the hardest, right? At least that's what my coach in college told me.


3:15-- Ran with the boys and picked up the pace. Those high school boys don't want their teacher beating them I guess. And I don't want them beating me either. Ha.


3:15-- Attempted to slow down a bit, but oh well, just went with it.


3:15-- Last one! I must have looked pretty tired, because one of my students hollered at me, "Man, Mrs. A..... you be doggin'!" Haha... nope, just workin' hard.


Overall, I think it was a successful workout. Could I have done 4 more reps yesterday? No, probably not. However, I think if I could find my 3:20 pace and maintain that for all the intervals, it would be much easier. 


Goal for next time: Run the actual pace! Don't race the high school boys!


Did I mention it was 70* and sunny today? In Ohio? In the middle of March? It was wonderful! I actually produced some sweat when I ran! It reminded me of this lovely day below... 


We were on vacation in Wisconsin a few years ago... I just finished a 5km race. My Business Man was obviously distracted by something. Hmmm... I wonder if he was deciding if he really wanted to pop the question later that night. Good news! He did!




I'm off to replenish my muscles with some BLT Mac & Cheese... yummy! Can anyone guess what the B, L, & T stand for? Recipe to come at a future date!



Comments

heisschic said…
named after a bean, aye? i went to college NEAR a bean town... made frequent trips into town for walmart and cheap chinese food.

i've been trying to stalk your pics to see if your bean town looks familiar at all, but i havent come up with much. hm hm hm


(and yes- the 70* weather was fantabulous and sweat inducing. i'm from cle- so it was equally absurd in these here parts)
The Blakewoods said…
I live in Dayton, Ohio so I think I know which bean town you are talking about! I am enjoying reading your blog so far!!
Stacy DeBruyne said…
I live in Toledo! And it was definitely freezing here yesterday =( You must be south of us!
Running Girl said…
Love the blog, and that picture is hilarious!
Sara said…
heisschic-- Where'd you go to college? There's several near here... my Bean Town starts with an "L" if that helps. And yes the weather was amazing. And now it's freezing. That's the Midwest for ya.

Esquire-- Yup we're pretty close! Thanks for reading!

Stacy-- It is freezing here today now! It must be a day behind.

Running Girl-- Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);