Skip to main content

Strange Things Encountered during a 24-hr trip to Milwaukee and back

As some of you may know, I've been traveling around quite a bit this week for my spring break. I spent some time with my BFF in Moline, IL before heading up to Milwaukee with mi madre for a whirlwind "foodie fun" trip. 

Our first stop: Taste of Home magazine visitor center! Rather than give you a play by play of the trip, I thought I'd just highlight the important details. Much more fun that way.



At the visitor center they have an awesome outlet store for Taste of Home products. 




Like this super-awesome "Egg Cuber." Because everyone needs to be able to make a square egg. (?!?) To be completely honest, I would probably eat hard-boiled eggs more often if they were square. And if they didn't give me gas. Unfortunately this super-fab product did not come home with me. I might have purchased 4 new cookbooks though. Whoops.




They also had a great selection of clothing at the outlet store. Forget the Limited, I'm stocking my wardrobe with these beautiful sweaters! It would work as a professional-looking work shirt, because it has a collar, right?



We stopped in a couple other foodie shops where I discovered this gem of a flavor of hot cocoa. Takes me back to just a few days ago when my Business Man's little sis gave me a bacon-flavored mint. Not the best flavor combination, in case you were wondering.




With all the walking around, we just had to stop and rest our legs at a movie. This movie theater had the largest seats I have ever seen in my life. I mean, look, there's room for my thunder thighs and my big ole' purse, and there's still space leftover. If my Business Man was along, we could've shared a seat. Would they only charge us for one ticket then?



And like all good girly trips, we had ice cream for dinner. It was $1 scoop Wednesdays! So of course that means getting 2 scoops. Brownie batter & chocolate peanut butter. It was. So. Good. And it had been 3 whole days since I'd eaten ice cream so it was like being re-united with my long lost lover.




Of course after spending all day browsing cookbooks and foodie stores we had to stop at my favorite grocery store in the whole wide world, Trader Joe's. Except we timed our shopping wrong because we went to Trader Joe's before we went to Kohl's and then had to carry 4 bags of groceries around Kohl's because we didn't want to walk all the way to the car first. (Lazy, much?)





The bags were heavy so we found a good solution. Don't tell me you've never pushed your groceries around at a department store in a shopping cart/stroller hybrid.




And to cap it all off, we stopped at the best gas station in the world on the way back today. They had samples of fresh baked cookies. Chocolate chip and white chocolate macadamia. That definitely warrants two samples, one of each. Good thing the cookie police weren't there.




And now I'm back in the Bean Town, happy to be cuddling with my sweet Business Man. Who was super-nice and took me to Panera for dinner and gave me all the pecans off his salad when mine only had 3. I think I'll keep him.




Adios! 

Comments

Running Girl said…
That sweater is hot stuff! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);