Skip to main content

Case of the Monday's...

Yesterday was a crazy day. First of all, it was a Monday. Monday's are always kind-of nutty.


Second of all, I knew that if I was still in Illinois, I would have had yesterday off school. Why don't we celebrate Casimir Pulaski Day in Ohio? Why, why??


Third of all, it was the first day of spring track practice. I'll be helping out with my school's track team this year, so I was excited to get to know and run with some of the kids. Of course, I left my meticulously packed bag of workout clothes at home, so I just got to watch and cheer them on.


This also meant that I had to spend extra time getting my run in. I didn't get home until just after 7pm. That is very late for me.


And then we still had to make dinner. We have been surviving on leftovers and frozen pizzas the last week or so and I was ready for some home-cooking, or at least as close as we could get.


When we were in Columbus this past weekend, we spent some time in our favorite bookstore, Barnes & Noble. Not only did I get to browse the cookbook section, but we even had gift cards! So, I picked up this little treasure.






I know what you're thinking. "Sara!! Don't you see? It's just a scam! All the recipes just use all Trader Joe's ingredients so that you will help their company make money! And, it's not like you can just run down the street to pick it up; you have to drive 100 miles to get there. And with the price of gas, that is just not reasonable."


I know, I thought that myself, too. But, browsing through the book (with the help of my mom), we decided it was a good investment. A little peer pressure always seals the deal. And, we had a gift card! 


So, last night for dinner, we were inspired by Trader Joe's "Pesto Penne with Arugula." My Business Man started on it as I drove home from the gym, and we finished cooking it together. Start to finish in less than 25 minutes! That's what I call a good weeknight meal.

The recipe calls for Trader Joe's Pesto sauce, but you could substitute any brand or even home-made. I have never made home-made pesto, but it is on my bucket list of things to make before I die. Yes, I am only 22 and I have a bucket list of recipes/dishes to attempt in the kitchen before I die. (That could make a fun blog post!)

The recipe basically combines cooked penne pasta with sauteed sliced chicken sausage, pesto sauce, and fresh spinach. The spinach wilts from the warmth of the pasta, and makes for a delightful green flavor. (The original recipe called for arugula, but we had spinach on hand, so that's what we used. Arugula would give it more of a peppery taste than the spinach did.)

Yes, we might have added two new Anthropologie bowls to our collection. In addition to yellow and green, we now have a salmon and teal color. What can I say, I am beginning to love bowls. The funny thing is, my mom-in-law loves bowls, too. I guess you marry people who are like your mothers? 

We both gave it two thumbs up! Garnished with some fresh Pecorino-Romano cheese, this was super yummy. Quick and easy, healthy and nutritious. If only I hadn't burned the garlic bread...


Pesto Penne with Spinach


  • 12 oz. penne pasta
  • 1 package chicken sausage, sliced
  • 8-oz package pesto sauce
  • 3.5-oz fresh baby spinach
  • Parmesan cheese, for topping

Method

Boil pasta according to package directions. While pasta is boiling, pan-fry sliced chicken sausage to lightly brown on both sides. When pasta is finished, combine cooked pasta, pesto sauce, chicken sausage, and spinach. Cover for 2-3 minutes to allow spinach to wilt. Garnish with parmesan cheese.

Comments

blbjakcoates said…
Sounds great, especially that delightful green flavor...
Anonymous said…
At least if you collect bowls you can use them on a regular basis and they STACK! I have started to collect coffee mugs in all shapes in sizes. I think Kyle is about ready to kill me. They are practically falling out of our cabinets because we have so many.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);