Skip to main content

Who needs the Girl Scouts, anyways?

We have visitors! In the Bean Town! This weekend! 

My parents have come to stay with us and explore all the cool, hip things to do here in the Bean Town. Of course they had to leave their precious little puppy at home. (Boo... our apartment doesn't allow animals.)

I rushed home from my teacher in-service this afternoon to get busy in the kitchen. Who has guests without any baked goods waiting for them?? Not this girl.

My mom had mentioned to me over the phone that she hadn't had the opportunity to buy any Girl Scout cookies this year. Hmm... I thought. It's been a long time since I've had Girl Scout cookies. I mean, I used to sell a boat-load of them every year when I was a lil' Scout, (think over 300 boxes!) but it'd been forever since I'd eaten any. 

So I set out to make my own. I thought about trying to re-create Thin Mints, but we had no mint extract and I didn't have the time to go to the store. So I settled on Peanut Butter Patties. (Or Tagalongs... what are they called where you are from? Back in Illinois, they were always Peanut Butter Patties. But I hear a lot of people call them Tagalongs, too? Either way, they're one tasty cookie.)



Now, I didn't quite get these finished before my parents arrived. They turned out to take a bit longer than I anticipated. (You have to let them cool before you can spread them with peanut butter and dip them in chocolate.) But, my mom didn't have any problems helping me finish making them! Baking is always more fun when you're baking with one of your best friends.


The base of the cookie is a simple shortbread dough, for that crispy cookie crunch in the center.


Don't be afraid if your dough isn't coming together all-of-a-sudden. I think it took my dough at least 5 minutes before it would hold together. So be patient! (And a hint of advice: Use your stand mixer, not your hand mixer. Your arm will probably get tired. Not that I know from experience. Looks like I need to start hitting the weight room. Or do all things that require muscle strength using my legs.)


About 1 minute in.

About 5 minutes in.
The dough is then rolled into balls, then squished flat with the bottom of a glass. And baked until golden brown!


The fun part begins after they've cooled. Spread each cookie with a bit of peanut butter. Choosy Moms choose JIF. But I'm not a mom (yet), so I choose the store-brand.


Just like spreading peanut butter on a PB & J.

This has to be healthy, right? Peanut butter is protein?

Then, comes the chocolatey goodness.


I used dark cocoa candy melts, but I'm sure semisweet chocolate chips melted with a tablespoon of vegetable shortening would work, too. I prefer working with the candy melts because they melt a lot more smoothly than chocolate chips.






I was afraid the peanut butter would just fall off the cookies into the chocolate, but it didn't at all! These were pretty easy to dip, and turned out pretty, too. Just let the chocolate set up for a few minutes in the fridge, or about an hour out on the counter.






Yum! These were great. They tasted like the real thing, minus all the preservatives. 


Tasty, delicious, luscious, scrumptious, and "better than the real thing" were all words escaping my parents' and Business Man's mouth when describing these cookies.


After some quality-control (cookies make good running fuel!), I headed out for a run and my parents headed out for a walk while we waited for my Business Man to get home from work.


After the grand ole' tour of the Bean Town, we ended up at our favorite place for dinner. Any guesses?


We ordered a 20-inch pizza. Never in my life have I seen a pizza this big.




And it was so delicious. And even more delicious because it was shared with great company.


Tomorrow we are headed to Columbus for some S-H-O-P-P-I-N-G! Wooooo!




Peanut Butter Patties (Tagalongs)
Makes about 4 dozen.


2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
24-oz. dark cocoa candy melts (or equivalent chocolate chips)


In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut butter into flour/sugar mixture with knife or by rubbing with your fingers. Using a mixer, beat in egg and vanilla until mixture comes together, about 5 minutes.


Roll into 1-inch balls, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness. Bake at 350*F 15-18 minutes until edges are golden. Let cool.


Spread each cooled cookie with a small amount of peanut butter. Melt candy coating or chocolate chips according to package directions. Dip each cookie completely in chocolate, and drain off excess. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheet to let chocolate set up.


Enjoy with a glass of milk!

Comments

Unknown said…
I love those cookies but I hate spending $4 a box!!! Thanks for the awesome recipe!!!
Amanda said…
These look so simple and delicious! :)
Sara said…
@Victoria - Completely agree! And here you get more than just the dozen that come in the box. Thanks for reading!

@Amanda - Thanks! They were pretty easy.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);