Skip to main content

Post-marathon boredom leads to awesome things like PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps!

Life since the marathon has been pretty uneventful. I've been taking it pretty easy, with some R & R. I did get in a few easy runs late last week, and I even ran 8 miles on Sunday, where I felt great. I'm amazed at how fast I am recovering from this marathon compared to the Flying Pig last year! 


This past weekend, I turned 24... yikes! As I tell my students, I'm just getting so old. ;) My Business Man and I celebrated with a trip to Indian Lake for a hike and a picnic. It was a gorgeous day, sunny and 75*F, and I couldn't have asked for anything better. (Except maybe a brand-new kitchen with butcher block countertops, subway tile, and stainless steel appliances... a girl can dream, right?) But the picnic was lots of fun! We also went to my favorite ice cream shop that night for my favorite treat - an Oreo-cookie dough avalanche. Yum.






Since the marathon, I've had a little extra time on my hands. Which means naturally I have spent more time in the kitchen. I was in a dinner rut for awhile, cooking the same type of meals over and over again. (Pretty sure we've all been there at some point or another.) So after a couple hours on Pinterest researching recipes and compiling grocery lists, I've broken out of the rut!






First, was Saturday night, with these fabulous Buffalo Chicken Tacos for Cinco de Mayo. Man, these were delicious. Crispy buffalo chicken, with co-jack cheese, gorgonzola, green onions, cilantro, and ranch. The flavor combination was out of this world. Between me, my Business Man, and his brother, we nearly finished off the entire batch. Go check out the recipe at the Rays & Chiefs Market blog!


Second, was tonight's dinner. PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps. Way back in September, when my Business Man and I were in Vegas, we stopped at PF Chang's for lunch on the patio. I wasn't too hungry, so I just ordered the lettuce wraps. (Because really, who wraps something in lettuce and calls it a full meal?) I loved them, but since there's no PF Chang's near us, I figured I'd have to wait awhile to try them again.






However, while Pinterest-ing, I discovered a knock-off recipe! So I knew it had to be on the meal plan for this week. And they might have just been better than the real thing. (Or else my memory's a little foggy since my PF Chang's visit was 8+ months ago... can you really remember what something tastes like 8 months later?) Either way, these were excellent!


The filling is made up of seasoned ground turkey and crisp veggies combined with a tangy-spicy-sweet sauce with just a hint of peanut butter. Wrapped up in cool, crisp lettuce leaves, the texture is just perfect! My favorite part was probably the water chestnuts. What is it about those things? So good!






Never would I have thought that lettuce wraps would be a satisfying meal, (where's the carbs?!), but these definitely fit the bill. Although that didn't stop me from eating five just a few crab rangoons on the side. 

PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps


  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • ½ medium onion, finely diced
  • salt & pepper
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
  • ½ tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • ½ tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons sriracha chili sauce
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 8-oz. cans sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
  • ¼ cup chopped peanuts
  • 10-12 large outer lettuce leaves, rinsed & patted dry

Method

Heat a large non-stick skillet on high. Add turkey, onion, and a dash each of salt and pepper. Cook until almost done, stirring frequently to break up the meat. (You want the pieces to be really small!) Add minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer, until turkey is no longer pink.

Meanwhile, in a small microwaveable bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, water, peanut butter, vinegar, and sriracha. Microwave for 30 seconds; stir until smooth. Add to skillet and stir to combine.

Add green onion and water chestnuts to skillet and cook 1-2 minutes until they are heated through.

Serve mixture in cold lettuce leaves and top with chopped peanuts.


Source: adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

Comments

Have Your Way said…
I know there is a PF Chang up in Maumee at the Outlet mall there!! Ive never been there but I heard its YUMMY!!!

Glad to see you are recovering well!! and Happy Belated Birthday!!!
Running Girl said…
Love the lettuce wraps at PF Changs!

And, happy birthday!!! Sounds like the perfect way to celebrate. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);