Skip to main content

Double-Delight Peanut Butter Cookies

Ever since the marathon, I have been eating peanut butter like it's my job. I don't know what the deal is, but it is just so good! (Maybe my body is craving a combination of sweet/salty/fat/protein? Who knows?)


Between my puppy chow wizard, peanut butter in my oatmeal, peanut butter crackers, and peanut butter buckeye ice cream in my freezer, you'd think that I would be on peanut butter overload. But yesterday I found myself in the kitchen whipping up some peanut butter cookies.





And not just any peanut butter cookies. Double-Delight Peanut Butter Cookies. These cookies are a recipe from the 2008 Pillsbury bake-off. I made them once before, in 2008, right after they were announced the winner of the million dollar prize. And I haven't forgot about them since! 






It's a chewy peanut butter cookie wrapped around a sweet gooey peanut butter surprise filling. Yum. The outside is rolled in a mixture of cinnamon-sugar and chopped peanuts for that extra crunch. 




If you are a peanut butter lover like myself, you have to make these. They're like little peanut butter clouds of goodness. If you know what I mean.


Start with the peanut butter filling. (Just a mixture of powdered sugar & peanut butter.) Roll it into little balls, and set aside.




Then you have the peanut butter cookie dough. It must be chilled, so you do have to think a little in advance. Wrap the dough around each ball of filling, and roll into a smooth ball.



Then, roll it in a mixture of sugar, cinnamon, and chopped peanuts. This'll give the cookies a shimmery, crunchy exterior.





Place the dough balls on a baking sheet, and flatten with the bottom of a glass so they're about a half-inch thick.






Pop 'em in the oven, and minutes later you have fresh, warm peanut butter cookies with an irresistible peanut butter filling! 




Whatcha waiting for? Get baking! :)

Double-Delight Peanut Butter Cookies


  • For the cookies
    • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
    • 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
    • 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 egg
    • ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
    • 1 cup flour
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • For the gooey peanut butter filling
    • ½ cup powdered sugar
    • ½ cup creamy peanut butter
  • For the sugar coating
    • ¼ cup finely chopped peanuts
    • ¼ cup granulated sugar
    • ½ teaspoon cinnamon

Method

For the cookie dough, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and egg; beat until smooth. Beat in peanut butter. Add flour, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined. Refrigerate at least 1 hour until firm.

For gooey peanut butter filling, combine powdered sugar and peanut butter until smooth. Roll into 24 3/4-inch balls; set on baking sheet.

For sugar coating, combine chopped peanuts, sugar, and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.

When dough has chilled, divide into 24 pieces. Flatten a piece of dough and wrap around peanut butter filling, pinching to seal and rolling into a smooth ball. Roll each dough ball in sugar coating and place on baking sheet. Flatten to about 1/2-inch thick with the bottom of a smooth glass.

Bake in 375*F 8-11 minutes until edges are set and cookies are just golden. Let cool 5 minutes before removing to wire rack. Enjoy!

Source: idea from Pillsbury Bake-off

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);