Skip to main content

Life lately

Remember when you were a student how the end of the school year was always spent running around like a crazy person trying to get projects finished, study for tests, and wrap up all the little loose ends? Wel, it's like that for teachers, too, except maybe worse... the month of May is over halfway done, and I don't know where it has gone!


And they brought this precious one.


Last weekend, my parents came out to visit. While my Business Man and dad worked on some house projects, my mom and I (naturally) headed down to Columbus for some shopping and girly time. It's always best to leave the mess at home. Plus, we were celebrating both our birthdays and Mother's Day, so it was definitely necessary.


Trying to self-photo with the iPhone. Not so successful.


The best part? We were both equipped with lots of gift cards and birthday money, so very little spending was done from our own pockets. Gotta love it.


The other best part? These chocolates they were handing out at Coldwater Creek. For free. (I knew we went into the old lady store for a reason. Just kidding Mom.)




We lunched at the Cheesecake Factory. It was a beautiful day, and we only waited 5 minutes for a table outside in the sunshine. Such great time spent with my momma.




Sunday, we spent a lot of time gardening, and enjoyed a nice Mother's Day lunch of beef brisket, fruit, and potato salad before my parents had to leave to go back to Illinois. 


Unfortunately, I developed a cold pretty much as soon as they left, and have been battling it ever since. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were pretty rough. Today I have finally started to feel better. You know you're starting to feel better when food actually sounds good and tastes good again!


I did spend some time baking this week... I just had to try out my new batter bowl from Sur La Table. (Thanks Uncle Joe & Aunt Shannon!)


My students and I were brainstorming cupcake recipes earlier this week (isn't that a regular topic of converation at your job?) when one of them suggested a Heath Bar Cupcake. Ummm, yes! So I found this Toffee Crunch recipe and did a little adaptation. 






It calls for two frostings - a ring of chocolate ganache (my fav) and then a caramel swiss meringue buttercream piped in the middle. 


My new bowl plus the luscious swiss meringue.
This was my first time making swiss meringue buttercream, and WOW! It is so silky smooth and sweet. (Who cares that it has one whole pound of butter in just the frosting recipe? That only frosts 24 cupcakes... which averages out to be approximately 1.25 tablespoons of butter per cupcake, in just the frosting. Sometimes it's not so fun being a math teacher... but these are TOTALLY worth it. And that's why we share with our friends, hehe.)


And that's about all that's new... cupcakes are the biggest excitement of this week. And the fact that we're down to just 6 (!) days of school! Ahhh... summer is so close I can taste it. All the more time for cupcake baking and running, my two favorite things. :)

Comments

SbMac said…
OMG those cupcakes sound so good...if I could do anything in the kitchen I would try to make them...maybe I will send them on to my MIL to try out and I can EAT! You are much closer to being done with school than I am. We have 14more days. I am a Title I reading teacher and I haven't taught a lesson since April bc it takes a month to do all the end of the year testing! Come on summer!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);