Skip to main content

Weekend Shenanigans

School is officially out for summer! We had our last teacher workday yesterday, so I was all sorts of excited to sleep in this morning. What time did I wake up? Oh, ya know just 5:41am. So I ended up lacing up the shoes and meeting the running group down in the park for 8 sets of hills. Perfect way to kick off summer! (Well, maybe not more perfect than our ice cream trip last night...)


Anyway, this past weekend my BFF Talen and her boyfriend Tim came to the Bean Town for the first time and it was such a blast. I love when friends come to visit, especially when we haven't seen each other in forever!


Talen & Tim
Saturday night we headed down to Cincinnati to catch a Reds' game. Fitting with the theme of the night, we stopped at Red Robin for dinner. (Hehe... that's a stretch.) The game was a bit roasty-toasty, but once the sun dipped below the buildings, it was quite enjoyable. Plus, we won!

Proof we were actually there.

Sorry Mr. Unsuspecting Man in the background.


Of course, we indulged in some $5 ice cream. It totally hit the spot.


Chocolate ice cream, whipped cream, and sprinkles. Yum!
The rest of the weekend was spent hanging out, catching up on life, and cooking (and eating) tasty food. Talen's never been much of a cook/baker, but she has come a long way from back in the day. In college, some of our meals were quite... interesting to say the least. ;)


Talen loves to cook. Don't let that look on her face fool you.
This weekend we prepared some absolutely delicious eats - orange cinnamon rolls, bacon balsamic burgers on homemade (!!) sesame seed buns, bbq jalapeno poppers, monte cristo sandwiches. All super fab. 


Orange cinnamon rolls.


Sesame seed buns... post coming soon.

Bacon balsamic onion burgers.

Monte cristo sandwich.


Monday morning, we took Talen & Tim to the fabulous downtown to watch the Memorial Day parade. Unfortunately, we were only tossed a few pieces of candy, no more coming home with plastic bags full. I guess that comes with the territory of getting older... (Thanks to my friend Amber for having pity on us and tossing us a few tootsie rolls. Heh.) 


The highlight of the parade was probably this nifty tank.






All in all - awesome weekend. I didn't want it to end. Hopefully we were entertaining enough that they will want to come back sometime. :)


And now? Gotta figure out what to do with myself! I'm thinking a second cup of iced coffee on the couch with the Today Show might be just the thing.


Pssst... go check out my latest post for the Rays & Chiefs Market Blog.




Raspberry Lemonade Bars are a fun twist on a classic. Lemon bars with the zing of raspberries added, on a crispy shortbread crust. Yum!

Comments

Talen said…
We will definitly be coming back!
SbMac said…
All the food looks delicious! I can't wait to see the recipes!
Alissa said…
Do you remember Monday night dinners? I remember one time you and me talking about our favorite vegetables for a long time and Talen not chiming in - ha. It looks like you had a blast this weekend! Miss you friend.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);