Skip to main content

Broccoli Slaw (& a weekly rundown)

Yes, a vegetable. After my last three recipes being cinnamon rolls, milkshakes, and brownies, it must come as a surprise that we actually eat vegetables in this household. But we do. Usually in the form of spinach salads or steamed broccoli. Not too adventurous. However, this recipe is pretty adventurous. Heh, a whole five ingredients.





I first ate this slaw when I was home at my parents a few weeks ago. My mom got the recipe from one of the markets up in Door County - the original recipe called for cherry poppyseed dressing.






Well I wasn't about to pour the majority of my $6.95 bottle of cherry poppyseed dressing into coleslaw, so I made some improvisations. 


This slaw is a great combination of crisp veggies & chewy dried cherries, with a sweet dressing & salty sunflower seeds. It seems that my favorite recipes combine the sweet & salty flavors together... what can I say? I think it all stems from mixing my m&m's with the popcorn at the movies when I was a little kid. Mom taught me that one.






Oh... and it's super easy. And quick. So even if you think you can't cook, you can make this salad. Promise.


What you need:


Green onions & broccoli slaw.

Dried cherries & sunflower 'nuts'. Or seeds. Whatevs. Just make sure they're salted.

All mixed together.

Then the poppyseed dressing!





Broccoli Slaw


  • 1 bag broccoli slaw
  • 5 green onions, sliced
  • 1 cup dried cherries
  • ½ cup sunflower seeds
  • ⅔-¾ cup creamy poppyseed dressing

Method

Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Stir well. Store in refrigerator.



---


And now for last week's wonderful week of training.


I somehow surpassed my mileage goal by over 6 miles... whoops. I also got in the dreaded 5-mile tempo run! Woooo! And some fun easy running too. Can't wait for the half on October 16.



Weekly Rundown (August 22-28, 2011)
Goals: 40-45 miles, 5-mile tempo or 5x1-mile repeats, 11-12 mile long run

Monday: 8.1 miles easy (64:14; 7:55 avg)
Tuesday: 5-mile tempo (34:05; 6:49 avg); 7.6 miles total with warm-up & cool-down
Wednesday: am - 6.3 miles easy + hills (52:58; 8:24 avg)
                          pm - 2.7 miles super easy w/ XC team (25:15; 9:20 avg)
Thursday: 12 mile LR (1:39:00; 8:15 avg)
Friday: 5.4 miles easy (43:00; 7:57 avg)
Saturday: 5 miles with the bride! (41:00; 8:12 avg)
Sunday: 4.2 miles easy (33:49; 8:03 avg) <-- didn't plan on running, but could not get myself to wake up! A couple easy miles did the trick.
Total: 51.3 miles

Next week's goals:
  • 40-45 miles total (guess I can skip my planned 50-mile week since I got it last week!)
  • 4-5 x 1-mile repeat workout
  • 11-13 mile long run
  • maybe a fartlek for fun? we shall see...
Yay for running! Off to foam roll my IT band... my Business Man is getting a little tired of massaging it every night. I have such a good husband. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);