Skip to main content

Back in the Dirt Divas... and a Weekly Rundown

Well friends, this is my last Sunday before school starts up again. (Though I have tomorrow off still... gotta ease back into the school year with a short week.) I am excited for fall and football games and big pots of chili. Oh, and pumpkin spice lattes. The start of the school year isn't too bad.


The start of the school year also means the start of cross country season. Last week, there was an Open Cross Country Race in a town about 15 miles from here. So of course I participated. How could I not, it was only $2 to enter!


Putting my Dirt Divas on... all photos courtesy of my awesome Business Man.


The purpose is mostly to give high school teams a chance to have a 'practice meet' before the official season starts. I think there were only 2 or 3 people in the race that were not high school athletes. Heh. But I didn't really care.


At the start.
The race went well - but I forgot how hard cross country races really are! It'd been about 2 years since I'd raced on the grass. It' so much more difficult than road races or track 5km's. 


Trying to run the tangents. Don't want to run any further than I have to.
I went out with the lead girls, not knowing quite what to expect. Well, they eventually took off ahead of me so I just stayed where I was. Nice & comfy in the third position and stayed there the rest of the race. Here's how the race broke down.

  • Mile 1 - 6:26 (felt harder than this pace!)
  • Mile 2 - 6:40 (getting tired...)
  • Mile 3 - 7:03 (yeah... real tired)
  • Last 0.1 - 0:43 (and we finished up a hill)
For a final finish time of 20:52.

The last 100 meters. Why I chose to wear a cotton t-shirt to an evening race in the middle of August, I do not know. I don't recommend it.
So clearly I did not negative split this race. Heh. But I was third out of 105 girls, so I'll take it! It was a lot of fun. I'll be back next year for sure.

Oh, and my arches are so sore! I guess not wearing spikes for almost 2 years and then randomly whipping them out will do that to ya.

---

And now for the Weekly Rundown for my Columbus Half-Marathon training. (Just 8 weeks away!)

Last week's goals were to run 40-45 miles, a 5-mile tempo and a 10-12 mile long run. I achieved all but the long run, but I ran 9.5! Close enough, right? ;-)

Weekly Rundown (August 15-21, 2011)
Goals: 40-45 miles, 5-mile tempo, 10-12 mile long run

Monday: 6 miles easy (52:30; 8:45 avg)
Tuesday: 5-mile tempo (33:44; 6:45 avg); 7.7 miles total with warm-up & cool-down
Wednesday: 5.9 miles (46:53; 7:56 avg)
Thursday: 5km Cross Country Race (20:52; 6:42 avg); 6.4 miles total with warm-up & cool-down
Friday: 6.6 miles easy (51:50; 7:51 avg)
Saturday: Off
Sunday: 9.5 miles LR (75:00; 7:54 avg)
Total: 42.1 miles

Next week's goals:
  • 40-45 miles total
  • 11-12 mile long run
  • 5-mile tempo or 5x1-mile repeats
  • Adjust to actually working everyday again... ahhhh!
Have a great week everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);