Skip to main content

An Unexpected Snow Day leads to Cake Pops!

So yesterday was the best day ever. Well, the best day of this year so far. Haha.

Love is in the air!

I woke up at 5:45am to go to the gym and run before school. I used to do this all the time, but haven't in a month or two because I don't like to get up that early all that much. I checked for a school delay before I left, because that's what I do first thing everyday when I wake up. (Hopeful, much?) Alas, no delay was called yet, so I went off to the gym.

While driving, it was very icy. So icy in fact, that I ran a red light because I couldn't stop! Thank goodness it was 5:45am and not a lot of cars were out. 

Anyways, I completed my run (4x800m intervals! woooo!), and was stretching a bit before I left, when the owner of the gym came over to ask if I had a delay. (He knows I teach.) Of course, I didn't think we did, but decided to check the TV anyway. Woot woot! A delay was called. So I decided to add on a couple extra miles, since I had the time. 

I got home, luxuriously ate my oatmeal in front of the TV watching the Today Show, when it was announced school was cancelled! Completely random unexpected ice day! And I had woken up at 5:45am... haha. Figures. At least my workout was complete, and I had all day to do whatever I want.

I spent the morning watching TV, and made a shopping trip to Meijer, which was completely dead and wonderful. Usually when I go it is Saturday and a madhouse.

I also met up for lunch with some new friends (including this lovely lady) which was fun to do on a weekday! 

After lunch and a trip to Hobby Lobby, my mission for the afternoon was to tackle one of the cake pop projects in my Bakerella book "Cake Pops." (I got it for Christmas.) Recently, I made the ice cream cake pops, and today I decided to tackle some heart-shaped Valentine cake pops.

I had a Funfetti cake mix in my cabinet already, so I decided to use that as the base. (BTW... has anyone ever had Funfetti cookies? So easy... 1 cake mix, 1/3 cup oil, 2 eggs. Bake 10 minutes at 350*F. The quickest and easiest cookies ever. And super tasty, too.)

So I mixed the crumbled Funfetti cake with some pink vanilla frosting. Which I picked up at Meijer, in the Valentine's section. Where I also found the cutest argyle Valentine socks. Which might have found their way into the cart. Shhhh... don't tell my Business Man.


I formed the cake balls, and let them chill for a bit.



Then, I took each cake ball, and using a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, shaped it into a heart. Then, I chilled them a bit more. (It's best when working with cake pops if they're always cold, especially when dipping them.)



I melted my candy melts, starting with pink. I also used white and dark chocolate.



And got to dipping! To dip the pops, you dip the tip of the stick in the chocolate, then stick it in the pop. Then completely cover the pop in candy coating in one swoop. Let it drip off and stick in a piece of styrofoam to set up. See Bakerella's site for more info!



I decorated some with sprinkles, and drizzled the others with a different color candy coating!


I took these to school today (for the teachers) and they were a hit! One teacher even said he'd pay up to $1.50 for one... hmmm... does the Bean Town need a Cake Pop business? (Ya know, in all my free time.)

Almost too cute to eat... Nahh... totally delicious!

Inside view. And yes I most certainly finished this guy off. Along with a few others. Had to taste all the colors!


In a nutshell, these were totally fun to make. And only took about 3.5 hours total, versus the 6.5 hours the ice cream pops took. 

Next on the horizon is Snowman Cake Pops! Who knows... maybe we'll have another snow day tomorrow?? 

Question: Have you ever had cake pops? What flavor combination would you like to try?

I have tried white cake with vanilla frosting, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, and now Funfetti with vanilla frosting. The Funfetti is my favorite by far... especially with the dark chocolate candy coating. I would like to try red velvet or strawberry cake next.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those look delicious AND beautiful! I could go for one right now...you need to be closer! :)
Jana C.
Sara said…
Thank you! I wish I could send you one... but there's actually only 3 left! I don't think they'll make it. ;-)
Your fellow teachers must count themselves so lucky to have a bake-aholic working with them! And for couponing, check out the frugal girls' coupon database online!
Anonymous said…
You totally have to have me over some time so we can make these together! It looks so much fun! :D

P.S. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you on Wednesday!
Sara said…
Amber-- definitely! That would be a lot of fun. I have a whole book of different designs and flavors and such. We'll have to figure out when.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);