Skip to main content

It's a new year!!

It's that time of year, when everyone is making New Year's resolutions... hmmm... I can't even remember the last time I made one!


I thought about giving up Diet Mountain Dew for about 0.2 seconds, but then realized I could never make it through the school day without my sweet afternoon pick-up. Plus, it's only $1 for a 20-oz. bottle in the teacher's lounge! That price cannot be beat. (I'm constantly stealing change from my Business Man's change stash. He caught me red-handed this morning. I replied, "What's yours is mine sweetie!" with a big ole grin.) Turns out, the pop machine was out of Diet Dew today. Karma... what goes around goes around and around. (Can anybody name that TV quote?)


My drug of choice.


So, after some extreme thought and consideration, I have come up with the following list of New Year's resolutions for 2011. Bring it on!


New Year's Resolutions 2011


1.   Keep at most 2 tubs of ice cream in the freezer. As some of you might know, I am an ice cream fiend. It is an unusual night if I do not have a bowl of ice cream before bed. Now, when we got back from IL after Christmas, I did a major clean-out of the fridge and freezer. And I found six (6!) half-gallons of ice cream in our freezer. Of course, each of them probably had less than 1 cup of ice cream in it. It's like I just can't commit to finishing off the tub! And I wonder why we have no room in our freezer for real food. Like frozen meat or veggies. Or this. (Aka the best last-minute dinner known to mankind.) So, the plan is at most 2 flavors at a time for now. I must finish a tub before a new one can be purchased.


That would be us eating ice cream on the night we got engaged. At my favorite ice cream place in Door County, WI. Have I mentioned all the Dairy Queen's in the Bean Town are closed for the winter? I'm officially in blizzard-withdrawal. And they keep sending me BOGO coupons! Ah!!
2.   Keep a more organized closet/wardrobe. When it takes you 10 minutes to find a pair of matching socks in the morning, you know something's wrong. I have a tendency to come home from school, and just throw off my nice clothes into a big pile at the bottom of my closet. The thing is, I usually will re-wear dress pants and nice tops without washing. (Is this totally weird?) So, then the bottom of my closet becomes this big black hole of dress clothes.  It's even worse on days that I go straight to the gym to run. Then, my clothes get wadded up into a teeny tiny ball in my spike bag. (Yes, I still use my spike bag from college. Gotta feel like I'm still speedy, ya know.) Then, when I get home from the gym, they get thrown in the closet. Or just stay parked by the front door. Either way, they end up wrinkled. So the goal is: Hang up clothes or fold them and put them away when I'm finished wearing them!


3.   Running related: I would love to run 2011 miles in 2011. I got pretty close to 2010 in 2010, reaching around 1970 or something. Stupid ITBS affected my knee in December, so I had to cut back on the miles. I'll have to try again. I would love to PR in the half-marathon, but haven't quite decided when I want to embark on another training plan. I need to find a race. I'm also toying with the idea of a full, but with teaching and helping coach track this spring I don't know exactly when that could happen.


Oh, the good ole' glory days... to be young and speedy again.


4.   Get better at turning off lights. I'm pretty sure that if I was the last person to leave the apartment each morning, our electric bill would cost twice as much. Whenever my Business Man and I get ready to go somewhere, he follows me around like a little puppy dog to make sure all the lights get turned off. I will learn to be a big girl and turn the lights off myself.


5.   On a more serious note, I want to strive to be the woman God wants me to be. I want to spend more time in the Word, and show God's love to others, especially my students. A lot of them have not been raised/exposed to God's Word and teachings, and even though I can't explicitly talk about it with them, I can show them that God is real and He loves them through my actions and behavior.


Ta ta for now and cheers to a joyful 2011!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);